Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up with Vonage and Comcast modems

I've tried twice to set up my TC to no avail. I know I'm not doing something right but am unsure what it is. I've read the manuals--I'm a bit challenged in these areas.

My current set up is: Comcast modem to Vonage modem; Vonage modem to Airport extreme, and, to a router for our home which is wired. What I've tried:

Comcast to Vonage to TC / router--the computers could not see TC or only saw it temporarily.

Comcast to TC to Vonage / router--No wireless, no internet, and lost Vonage phone service. Plus, I could not get the TC light to stop flashing amber.

I have enjoyed immensely the simplicity of Apple when setting up the wireless network. But I am stumped. What am I overlooking?

Thanks

The results of the

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2008 8:28 PM

3 replies

Oct 28, 2008 3:05 AM in response to durbinzoo

"My current set up is: Comcast modem to Vonage modem; Vonage modem to Airport extreme, and, to a router for our home which is wired."

Assuming you are using two routers then :

Comcast modem to WAN port on main router
Vonage to Lan port
Second router to Lan port and place that router in bridge mode then set its wireless preference.

Even better would be to make the main router N devices only and the secondary router B/G That's where I'd connect the Vonage.

Nov 2, 2008 7:26 AM in response to DonH49

Let me check to see if I understand.

Are you referring to Time Capsule as assuming the role of the main router, which is currently a Linksys Etherfast DSL/Cable Router Model BEFSR41? So this router is no longer required?

Here's what I think you are proposing:

1. Comcast modem to WAN port on Time Capsule (replaces Linksys Etherfast)
2. Connect Vonage to LAN port on Time Capsule
3. Connect the second router (10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch Model EZXS88W) to LAN Port on Time Capsule
4. Put the second router in bridge mode

The Airport Express would be removed in favor of Time Capsule so not sure what wireless preference is being referred to for the second routeer.

Nov 22, 2008 6:53 PM in response to durbinzoo

I contacted Apple support and resolved the problem. It turns out it was an order of operations problem. You need to disconnect the cable from the wall to the Comcast modem and disconnect its power while going through the TC set up. Once the settings have been updated on the TC, reconnect the cable modem and power it up. Then, an IP address will be picked up by the TC.

Setting up with Vonage and Comcast modems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.