Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Major Quality issues with my brand new MacBook Pro!

I just received my new MacBook Pro from Apple.com and it is a mess! The battery door is loose on the bottom and won't get tight and the function keys are skewed at an angle. Tech Support says I will have to send it in for repair but this seems wrong for a brand new $3000 computer (I just received) to have to be sent off for repair. Anyone else having the same issues? I have owned well over 60 macs and this one is by far the worst as far as quality in its build. I cannot believe that Apple is letting this happen and the loyal customers are having to suffer. Any help Apple?

MacBook Pro 15" (late 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2008 8:33 PM

10 replies

Oct 28, 2008 6:03 AM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

Is it a custom-built (CTO) unit? If so, your ONLY option is to get it serviced according to their return policy. It sounds like it wouldn't be considered DOA to qualify a replacement.

If your're unhappy, call Apple Customer Relations <edited by host> and talk to them. I have a feeling they will resolve the issue to your satisfaction--especially after they see what you have all purchased. User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dave M.
MacOSG Founder/Ambassador  An Apple User Group  iTunes: MacOSG Podcast
Creator of 'Mac611 - Mobile Mac Support' (designed exclusively for an iPhone/iPod touch)

Oct 27, 2008 11:02 PM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

I have the new 2.4GHZ macbook and my function keys are all slanted. I exchanged it for another one and after opening it saw that the function keys on this one are all slanted as well. I'm just dealing with it though because I really don't want to have to go back to the store again to do another exchange. You are not alone however; it seems that the slanted keys are pretty common on the new macbooks, but I haven't heard of many new macbook pros with the same problem. Hopefully, you will be able to get your problem resolved.

Oct 28, 2008 6:30 AM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

I just received my new Macbook Pro 2.8GHz SSD yesterday via China/FEDEX and it is a thing of beauty!
Everything is perfect in everyway - the mouse pad functions perfectly - my bootcamp installed fine and I'm able to play my games perfectly! No function key slanting or blemeshes on the body - no loose battery compartment nothing...

So there are some perfect ones - it would be worth it to go ahead and send it in...

Oct 28, 2008 1:04 PM in response to black6

Yes, I couldn't agree more. Quality control is clearly a big problem. To wit:
I have a dent on the upper right corner by the mag safe! This is a brand new unibody MBP, straight from the factory! What's more, several keys on the keyboard had clearly visible greasy finger prints (the W, E, R, and P keys were most noticeably greased up)!
To make matters worse when I called Apple to complain, they left me on hold for 20-30 minutes and wound up telling me to send it back. I have to wait another 10 days or so for a new unit.
If they had just offered me $100 refund, I would've been satisfied, and they would have saved money.
Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Oct 28, 2008 5:51 PM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

UPDATE: I am VERY pleased to say that Apple has stepped-up on this situation and is making it right. I can honestly say that I am very impressed with the level of support they have (finally) delivered. I have been buying Macs since 1988 and I am glad to see the company I put so much confidence in come through. Thanks to all those who have posted replies to my post.

Oct 29, 2008 2:34 PM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

I know how frustrating it can be when stuff like this happens. I am fortunate in that I live close to an Apple Store and just go in and see them. I can honestly say that they have never left me hanging on anything in question. The people in the genius bar take me for my word with 'intermittent' problems and work to solve things for more clear ones. Compared to most I am a new person to Apple. 3 years ago I was given an ipod for a birthday present. This honestly was my first 'Apple' experience since the early Macintosh days in the late 80's. Last christmas I was given an iPhone for christmas. I loved this thing. By mid January I had purchased my first iMac..... by May a MBP (I should also note that I had a relatively brand new PC that I had spent $2000 on purchased just a few months before the iMac) I now have just about everything Apple sells except for a MacPro or XServe.

I can not say I have not had problems. My iphone was replaced 3 times. BUT....it was without question and done in less than 45 minutes each time. Just this past week I was having problems with an AEBS and AE. They were intermittent issues that I knew I would not be able to reproduce in store. I went there, told them what was wrong. They took 5-10 minutes on each piece..... said they believed me and replaced both.

I may not be a huge fan of all of Apple's business practices.... I don;t much care for the demeanor of Steve Jobs or the way he treats people..... But ****...... you can not deny that he has built one **** of an empire and did it right.

I am glad you had everything work out for your new machine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Help! Major Quality issues with my brand new MacBook Pro!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.