Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Screens on 8GB vs. 16GB 3G?

Recently picked up a 16GB 3G iphone from an AT&T store. Days later picked up an 8GB 3G from the Apple store for my wife. Side by side comparison with brightness being equal her screen (8GB) is clearer and brighter. Mine (16GB) is slightly duller and less dynamic. Should I exchange mine? Or be happy that everything else appears to be functioning properly?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 8:52 AM

21 replies

Jan 13, 2009 6:57 AM in response to Aaron Katz

I'm seeing this same problem, but its with a 16GB black iPhone 3G purchased back in August vs a 16GB white iPhone 3G purchased a few days ago. I picked up an iPhone for my wife and her screen seems more bright and vibrant. I've made sure all brightness settings are identical but her screen just looks better. Maybe it has something to do with a change in the way they make the screen with newer models. Or maybe the screen fades over time? Anyone else having this problem?

Jan 13, 2009 7:04 AM in response to Aaron Katz

It's likely that Apple has several LCD suppliers as well as several places that actually make the iPhones. This will cause even 2 phones purchased at the exact same time to have slight variations in the screen if one came from one batch and the other from a different batch.

As long as the screen is working it's unlikely they will replace it just because one looks different. You can see what they say.

Jan 13, 2009 11:17 AM in response to icebike

I'm confused, are you saying that the brightness slider can behave differently between two different phones? I would assume that if they are both set in the same position (approx. half) then they should show the same brightness, which is not the case because my wife's phone looks brighter at the same slider position. If I up the brightness on my phone I can get mine to about the same brightness as hers but everything looks a little washed out, not as vibrant (if that makes any sense).

I totally understand that my phone could be from a different LCD manufacturer or that my screen has started to fade somewhat, but right out of the box the screen of my wife's new 3G iPhone just looks alot better then mine. And its the overall look (brightness, contrast, etc). Maybe I'm being too critical and I should stop worrying about it.

Jan 13, 2009 11:24 AM in response to Jake5289

Jake, YES, in the middle there is going to be a difference. How can you be absolutely 100 percent sure you have the slider in the same position on both phones? YOU CANT. Ther are no markings at all to be able to do this, PLEASE put them on full bright or full lowness and then compare.

Trying to save you a trip. The genius is going to tell you the same thing.

Put hers on full brightness and yours too? if there is a difference, take it to the apple store, it needs to be replaced if there is a difference on full brightness on both.

Message was edited by: Dynamite DJs

Message was edited by: Dynamite DJs

Different Screens on 8GB vs. 16GB 3G?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.