Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB external hard drive keeps getting lost.

I use a mini mac and an external WD HD USB for the music folder. I have another WD HD USB for time machine back ups. Everything has been working perfectly until about a week ago where iTunes looses the location of the files and then I check the external HD which is still mounted but I can't see the files in finder. The disc utility is then unable to unmount the HD nad verify it. If I power down the USB HD and start it up again it works perfectly for awhile.

I have three external HD's all WD.

Help please.

Macbook pro 17 & iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 9:40 AM

7 replies

Oct 31, 2008 3:30 PM in response to orangekay

The firmware is up to date. I think that it is something to do with iTunes as this happened to the last HD ( a minimax); they seem to last 4 or 5 months and then something seems to get corrupted.

I bought this mini mac to be my ultimate solution and it has give me nothing but trouble.

I have an iPhone too and it is the same. Full of promise but never quite delivers and so fails utterly. I am loosing my faith in Macs.
Not that they will care.

This Minis Mac and iTunes and external HD combination simply does not work. I have tried with both Iomega and WD wiht exactly the same result. Disappointment and wasted money.

Makes me sick

USB external hard drive keeps getting lost.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.