Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto fill the URL

I recently switched to mac and one of the little things that really annoys me is that I cant find out how to auto fill a URL when I'm on the internet. (automatically add the WWW and the .com) Ive tried both firefox and safari. In windows its CTRL+Enter. Ive tried command + return with some success but I think the only reason that works sometimes is that I may already ahve that URL in my bookmarks. Is there a way to do this in OSX?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2nd gen

Posted on Oct 29, 2008 3:21 PM

3 replies

Oct 29, 2008 3:34 PM in response to greene-r74

greene-r74 wrote:
I recently switched to mac and one of the little things that really annoys me is that I cant find out how to auto fill a URL when I'm on the internet. (automatically add the WWW and the .com) Ive tried both firefox and safari. In windows its CTRL+Enter. Ive tried command + return with some success but I think the only reason that works sometimes is that I may already ahve that URL in my bookmarks. Is there a way to do this in OSX?

Welcome to Apple Discussions:
Since you are new to mac, you have not developed a browser history which the selfcomplete function uses to do what you are asking.
For instance if I enter g in the browser and wait a very short time, google.com pops up.

The http://www. is automatically added when you hit the enter key.
If there are many sites starting with g, they all appear in a dropdown menu. As I keep typing, the list shortens.

Try entering the first letter(s) of a website you have already visited and see if that happens.

With FF it's similar but you have to scroll down to get the actual URL from the dropdown box. There may be a way to have the URL complete in the address box - I have not looked too deeply into FF.

Oct 30, 2008 6:37 AM in response to greene-r74

I tried it last night and it doesn't add the "www's" just the http:// I guess that wasnt what I was expecting. Blah Its one thing of the history base is built and you can quickly find what your looking for but its kind of maddening when your trying to go some place new and you get redirected to the embarq error page. Well thanks anyway. I'll keep researching it. Or try to figure out a work around.

Auto fill the URL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.