Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you fix Sad face Ipod with exclamation mark

So i've been having a few problems here with my ipod hopeing that someone out there could help me out. So now my Ipod wont charge, it wont hook up to my computer and whenver i hook it up to the charger or the computer the sad face ipod comes on with the address www.apple.com/support/ipod anyways i also get this sign on the screen which is the charging sign but the bar isnt moving, its like its in the charge mode but nothings charging.. then after about 5 minutes it goes back to the apple logo and then tries to restart itself. When its turning on it also makes this clicking sound its like the hard disk is turning on and then turning off... SO basically i cannot get my ipod to turn on ... i cannot get it to charge, and i cannot get it to come up on my computer.. any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 25, 2005 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2005 11:52 PM

Last week, I managed to fix up my daughter's iPod with the same problem. However, you need to have a PC to help you. First, put your iPod into Disk Mode (you may need to plug it with the AC Charger), press "Select"+"play" keys, then plug it with a PC, a window pop up and indicates that your iPod cant be read. Open the iPod Updater (make sure you pre-install the latest iPod updater before you connect your iPod with the PC) and click Restore. Once it has been completed, plug it back with your Mac, and do the Restore in Mac version
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2005 11:52 PM in response to b_yep

Last week, I managed to fix up my daughter's iPod with the same problem. However, you need to have a PC to help you. First, put your iPod into Disk Mode (you may need to plug it with the AC Charger), press "Select"+"play" keys, then plug it with a PC, a window pop up and indicates that your iPod cant be read. Open the iPod Updater (make sure you pre-install the latest iPod updater before you connect your iPod with the PC) and click Restore. Once it has been completed, plug it back with your Mac, and do the Restore in Mac version

Nov 3, 2005 11:57 PM in response to b_yep

Hahahaha, I believe that the head of the hard disk of the iPod get stuck at one point, hold it up side down - may force it to move from the out of adjustment area. Imagine, if I can write a software which can force the iPod's head (with the problem of exclamation mark and sad iPod)of the HD to re-adjust the position and follow by a RESTORE - I could be a millionaire

Feb 1, 2006 4:58 PM in response to Mitch 751

I dropped mine on the floor and it started working too. I can't believe this worked but I couldn't get anything to work - not a restore, not disk mode, nothing and dropping it on the floor definitely worked. I charged it, restored it and uploaded all of my songs back on. I can't believe it works perfectly now. WOW!

How do you fix Sad face Ipod with exclamation mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.