Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does Mac OS 10.5 support?

I have a G4 Power Mac AGP Sawtooth running 1.3 MHz with 2 GB RAM and 2 MB for L3. Does Mac OS 10.5 support my machine? If so, how much will the Mac OS slow down my machine?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Robert

G4 Sawtooth 1.3GHz, G4 iBook, G3 Desktop/G4 450MHz, G3 Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), i-rocks external storage

Posted on Oct 31, 2008 6:21 AM

6 replies

Oct 31, 2008 6:24 AM in response to Robert Su1

Does Mac OS 10.5 support my machine?

No.

The AGP Sawtooth machines were all under 867 Mhz out of the box. Support for 10.5 would have to come from the 1.3 Ghz processor upgrade people.

1.3 Mhz cards/chips do not exist for Sawtooth machines as the minimum speed of a Sawtooth is 350 Mhz.

GigaHertz = 10 ^ 9 Hertz
MegaHertz = 10 ^ 6 Hertz

Oct 31, 2008 11:00 AM in response to Robert Su1

If the 1.3 Ghz processor you put in does not act like a true PowerMac G4 1.3 Ghz in the view of the Leopard installer, it won't let you install. The processor needs specialized support from its manufacturer to allow Leopard to install, or third party software called Leopard Assist. Either way, you are building yourself a jalopy, because it is not officially tested as a configuration by Apple. Any updates you do past an unofficially tested configuration you are on your own or at the mercy of the vendor who supplied the processor.

Apple set the limit based on its built-in processors and its firmware. The firmware supplied by third party firmware for upgraded processors is different.

Oct 31, 2008 5:39 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Thanks to both of you. The only interest that I have in Mac OS 10.5 is its Mail. With Mac OS 10.4.11, I cannot hyoerlinked an image in my e-mail signature for the recipient to click to my wesite. According to the instruction, I could hold the Control key while clicking near the image for editing the link. After adding the link, the image disappeared and replaced with the actual website URL. I cannot find anyway to get a hyperlinked image there.

Robert

Nov 1, 2008 6:01 AM in response to Robert Su1

Well, images in e-mail are flaky things as attachment formats have not been standardized.
Regardless, Apple has also disabled in Leopard GIF animations in Mail.

You gain some and you lose some. E-mail support of anything beyond plain text really is iffy at best across all e-mail programs.

See this article:

http://www.birdhouse.org/etc/evilmail.html

which I agree with.

That I don't think is reason enough to upgrade to Leopard.

What does Mac OS 10.5 support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.