Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to automatically create playlists of all of my 'albums' ?

Is there a way to create play lists based on album titles for my entire library all at once or do I have to do each one manually? Is this an option under the smart play lists? I didn't see album title listed but maybe I missed it.

Thanks.

Mac Pro 3GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Logic Studio, Pro Tools

Posted on Oct 31, 2008 10:50 AM

8 replies

Oct 31, 2008 11:14 AM in response to Diane Wordsmith

I organize my playlists so the titles include 'artist name-album name'. This way when I transfer the playlists to my iPod I can quickly see all artists in alphabetical order with each separate album all on one screen.

I do not like having things alphabetized by album name nor do I like having to go through multiple screens to select an artist and than select one of their albums.

By making my playlists as described above, I can have all of my albums alphabetized by artist name completely accessible from one menu page on my iPod.

Oct 31, 2008 7:29 PM in response to Aaron H

The more playlists you have, the more you will bog down iTunes.
iTunes updates the database files (iTunes library and iTunes library.xml) every single time you update anything (after a song is played or skipped, rating is changed, ID3 tags changed, etc.)
The more playlists you have, the larger these files are, the more you will slow down these writes.
I would not recommend doing it.

But if you really insist on doing it -> Arrange by Artist-Album
“Assigns every track of your iTunes library to a playlist named for the artist and album tags of each track, ie: "The Beatles - The White Album". Tracks without one or the other tag are sent to another new playlist so they can be sorted later”

Jan 4, 2009 9:11 PM in response to Chris CA

Here is a reason why you would want to create a playlist per album:
This $@$$@##% sync between iphone and itunes allows you to either sync everything or sync selected playlists.

My itunes library is about 10 to 11 GB. My iphone is 8GB. I cannot put it all on the iphone. I want to be able to choose what album I put on the iphone.

Only way is to create one playlist per album. Pretty dumb I agree, but there's no other solution until the iphone synchronization lets you select albums in addition to playlists.

Jan 4, 2009 10:03 PM in response to Laurent Droin

This $@$$@##% sync between iphone and itunes allows you to either sync everything or sync selected playlists.

So why not add the albums into playlists you have already created and selected to sync?
There's no need for single playlist for a single album.

My itunes library is about 10 to 11 GB. My iphone is 8GB. I cannot put it all on the iphone. I want to be able to choose what album I put on the iphone.

Okay. My iPod is 4GB but my library is 40GB. I put on it exactly what I want.
Whole albums, single songs, entire Genre, etc.

How to automatically create playlists of all of my 'albums' ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.