Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G4 Won't Connect to Internet

I have a 400mhz PowerPC G4 connected via ethernet to DSL through the Apple Airport base station. The G4 doesn't have an Airport card and doesn't support Airport Extreme. A wireless MACBOOK also connects to the network perfectly. Until recently, the PowerPC worked fine.

Upon startup Safari prompts a message saying that I wasn't connected to the Internet. I've restarted the modem, base station and router, restarted the machine several times and gone through the Network Diagnostics several times. Still no connection. I have connected the Ethernet cable directly to the modem, and also directly to the base station. Nothing seems to work.

When I open Safari, I get the "You are not connected to the Internet" message and the Network Diagnostics button. Clicking on that, in the left margin there is a Network Status listing showing the Ethernet with a red or green light. This will toggle back and forth between connected and not connected every few seconds. Network Settings is shown with a yellow light. ISP, Internet, and Server all show a red light with a "Failed" message.

Another issue is that on stgartup my clock reads March 24th 2001 if that has any significance. It was on server time before.

Otherwise the computer operates flawlessly.

Thank you.

G4 powermac 400mhz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 2, 2008 11:33 AM

3 replies

Nov 2, 2008 2:21 PM in response to elucius

Another issue is that on stgartup my clock reads March 24th 2001 if that has any significance.

That is very significant. It means the battery is dead or dying. Thus the first thing I would try is replacing the battery. A weak battery can cause all manner of weird things to happen.

If you need help with this, post back. Here's a web page about battery replacement:
http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh/

PowerMac G4 Won't Connect to Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.