Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AT&T DSL Wireless Issues

I recently shifted my Internet Service from Comcast Cable to AT&T DSL (which i now regret!) and since then I have been having problems connecting to Internet through my Wireless Router (Linksys WRT54G). The AT&T provided DSL modem is Motorola 2210-02. I do not have a problem getting access to Internet when I directly connect my computer to the DSL Modem. However, I am facing access issues in both 'wired' and 'wireless' mode when trying to connect through the Linksys router. I'm not very tech savvy but I suspect it has got to be some conflict with the IP address... AT&T's tech support does not want to help as the internet service is not affected... atleast, directly. Did anyone encounter similar issues?... should I must manually enter the IP address instead of allowing it to automatically assign... Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Motorola DSL 2210-02, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iPod Nano

Posted on Nov 2, 2008 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2008 6:25 PM

should I must manually enter the IP address instead of allowing it to automatically assign

*_Ask AT&T_* if you have a fixed or dynamic IP address. Generally, most ISPs use the DHCP (dynamic) address assignment. (If you have DHCP, you cannot enter the address into the LinkSys router.

However, it is also possible to have a fixed (or static) IP address. If you have a static address, you must enter the assigned IP address (and subnet and gateway and DNS server addresses) into the router.

Press and hold the reset button on the LinkSys router and start fresh on the configuration. If the LinkSys was configured to work properly with Comcast, it may require different settings to work properly with AT&T.

Also, download and install any and all firmware updates for the WRT54G. I have always had a hard time getting the WRT54G to behave the way I thought it should.

FWIW - I eventually put in on the shelf as an emergency back up and bought an AEBS for my primary router ....

Hope that helps. 😉
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2008 6:25 PM in response to magshr06

should I must manually enter the IP address instead of allowing it to automatically assign

*_Ask AT&T_* if you have a fixed or dynamic IP address. Generally, most ISPs use the DHCP (dynamic) address assignment. (If you have DHCP, you cannot enter the address into the LinkSys router.

However, it is also possible to have a fixed (or static) IP address. If you have a static address, you must enter the assigned IP address (and subnet and gateway and DNS server addresses) into the router.

Press and hold the reset button on the LinkSys router and start fresh on the configuration. If the LinkSys was configured to work properly with Comcast, it may require different settings to work properly with AT&T.

Also, download and install any and all firmware updates for the WRT54G. I have always had a hard time getting the WRT54G to behave the way I thought it should.

FWIW - I eventually put in on the shelf as an emergency back up and bought an AEBS for my primary router ....

Hope that helps. 😉

Nov 5, 2008 7:36 PM in response to magshr06

Based on the suggestions I received I tried several things including Cloning the IP address, trying to install a new Linksys WRTG2 router, Upgrading the firmware and re-setting the routers. Strangely, nothing seemed to fix the issue right away. However, the problem got itself fixed now! I suspect AT&T was the culprit. I suspect that AT&T DSL will need time to resolve IP conflicts?! The only difference I see now is that the Gateway IP address are the same between the DSL modem and the Wireless router. Earlier on, the issue was that the DSL and Router was automatically assigning different IP addresses and manual IP address entry didn't seem to work. But then I left the system running for several hours overnight configured using the DHCP option. The next day, to my disbelief, the internet access was fine and also the IP conflict issue was no more there! Will keep posted if I learn something more!

AT&T DSL Wireless Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.