Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

max limit in IMAP server processes

today I just found out the mail host I am using for one of my clients, only supports a maximum 20 IMAP processes at one time, for any number of connections/users.

There are 30 users with a domain email address, and 5 of them have iPhones, 2 using Apple Mail, and the rest using Outlook 2007. These numbers exceed the limit causing the mail server to hang and stop working properly during peak business hours.

My question is.. what is the default number of allowable concurrent IMAP connections in Leopard's Mail Server?

I'm considering pitching a proposal to bring their mail in-house a bit early, but would like to get a solid answer on how many connections is allowed to make sure this is not going to happen again.

Thanks a lot for anyone's help.

iMac 20", MacBook Pro 15", PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2008 7:31 PM

11 replies

Nov 4, 2008 10:41 PM in response to zynizen

The cyrus imap server support a maximum of 300 sessions on Mac OS X Server, meaning when your clients use Mail.app, this limits the total user count to just above 60. Mail.app is a session eater. It likes to open 4 sessions per account, and I see users with even more now and then. Oh, and when you get close to 300 sessions, Open Directory likes to get a headache, making your whole server become unresponsive..

So Mac OS X Server unlimited supports a maximum of 60 mail users 😉

(Yes, I'm frustrated with that indeed.)

Nov 4, 2008 11:35 PM in response to Jacco.Rens

So Mac OS X Server unlimited supports a maximum of 60 mail users

I have to admit I haven't encountered this - I'm running 250+ users on a single mail server and haven't run into any problems (although, I concur, I haven't looked at who's using IMAP vs. POP).

Even if there is a limit, you can use mail clustering in Leopard to spread your load over multiple mail servers.

Nov 5, 2008 5:50 AM in response to zynizen

So what should I look for when deciding what hardware to put in, how much ram is needed per user typically if the server is strictly going to be providing mail services? We have a Windows server box providing DHCP/DNS and File Sharing for all the windows clients here, so the need will come right now for just a mail server.

And how many processes does the iPhone Mail.app use concurrently?

thanks

Message was edited by: zynizen

Nov 5, 2008 7:13 AM in response to zynizen

Assuming you only run mail services, pretty much any XServe will be able to handle 30 users just fine.
You won't need large amounts of RAM either.
I'd look for the "smallest" XServe with 4GB RAM or more and rather invest money in a good raid setup.

Of course, if you want to add additional services to this server in the future, you may need a different setup.

Nov 5, 2008 7:23 AM in response to pterobyte

Well, I hope to increase the services available on this server then after Snow Leopard arrives, and take advantage of that, but, possibly just vpn/file services and the iphone wiki/collaboration stuff once the bugs are worked out.

Also, ZFS for mail store would be nice.

If we put a decent RAID5 in, what would be a good backup solution?

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2008 12:22 AM in response to zynizen

Our server started having trouble anytime the VM Size would get over 320GB. It could happen with just over 30 IMAP connections but sometimes it would be over 50 before we saw the server start to struggle. We would get the Open Directory problem as well and the server was not able to function if the VM Size got over 370 GB. We worked with Apple for a couple of months to get data captures and we could reproduce the problem for them anytime, but they did not seem interested to find a solution. Trouble ticket is still open and no response from Apple for a month now.

Dec 10, 2008 2:11 PM in response to pterobyte

We have 215 configured mail account on our server. All of them connect using Apple's Mail program via IMAP. We use both squirrelmail and @mail (running on a 2nd xServe) as web interfaces to the mail server for off site access. Somewhere around 40 of the users also use iPhones to access mail via IMAP. This equates to around 650 concurrent IMAP connections during the day.

Our total mail store is only around 80GB. Its kept on a 7 drive xServe RAID (Major overkill). The mail server is an 8 core Intel xServe. 1GB Quota limit / 10MB attachment limit.

BTW: A full backup can take up to 5 hours. And to do it right the server needs to be off. 😟

We experience major slow downs 2 to 3 days a week. During all of these slowdowns the hardware shows no indication of heavy load. We have had Apple VARs verify the system is configured properly, spent hours on the phone with AppleCare. Its all correct according to them. Apple did finally admit there are performance issues and that the issue exists in both the Tiger and Leopard servers. Their new lit on Snow Leopard claims support for thousands of concurrent connections so we hope they have/will resolved these problems and their server will become a good solution for business. Maybe with ZFS we will get live backups too.

Some things to avoid as we have found they can cause performance problems. Limit your use of the Server Admin tool, specifically the Mail Maintenance tab, never leave it open. Encourage good daily mail management. Once your mail store grows to a larger level and mail accounts start to fill, people will start moving GB's worth of mail around in large blocks, the server will likely slow to a crawl for hours if too many people do this at once.

Use Mailbfr instead of the reconstruct options in Server Admin.

I greatly respect pterobyte's knowledge in this area, but from my experience, using the best Apple hardware we could by at the time. I feel more than 150 IMAP users will likely run into performance issues at one time or another using Apple's mail server. But until you do, it will seem blazingly fast. It just hits a wall and starts to crawl from time to time.

Dec 10, 2008 6:23 PM in response to Nemesis

With all due respect, that many concurrent connections will bring any single mailserver to a crawl,
and underscores the need for distributing services (ie: distribute accounts over multiple servers when getting to this kind of scale), and appropriate network architecture to support the service(s) involved.

As for backup, that's a larger separate discussion, and there are tape drives that can backup that much data quite rapidly. But 80 GB is not insignificant.

max limit in IMAP server processes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.