Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Sparsebundle file

Hi All

I recently sold my 6 month old mbp and got one of the new mb's. I was using time machine to save backups to a time capsule for my mbp. I would like to delete the sparesbundle file as I will never use it. What is the best way to quickly delete this file? I know I can format my tc but that isn't an option as I also use it as an external hard drive to store files.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alu Macbook 2.4ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 4:00 AM

5 replies

Nov 5, 2008 10:19 AM in response to aliciar

Try these suggestions...

*_How Do I Delete a Sparsebundle From a Time Capsule Hard Disk?_*
If it is the only disk image on the drive, then deleting it is not necessary. Simply reformat the disk using Airport Utility.

*Manually Attempt to Delete Disk Image*
Make sure no backups are taking place.
Turn OFF Time Machine on all Macs.
Then pull the plug on the TC.
Reboot all Macs.
Once your Mac is back up & running, plug the TC back in.
Now try deleting the disk image in question.
Remember to turn Time Machine back ON on all Macs when complete.

*From Another Mac*
If permissions issues prevent you from deleting the disk image this way, some have been successful mounting the drive from another Mac and deleting the disk image in questions by that means.

If you can't, then you might try changing the permissions on the disk image by adding yourself to the list in Get Info. (NOTE: Do not change permission on the Time Capsule hard disk itself, just the disk image being deleted.)

Let us know which, if any, of the options above resolved your issue.

Cheers!

Nov 23, 2008 10:33 AM in response to aliciar

{quote:title=aliciar wrote:}
So I guess I just delete the file as I would any other file? Won't this take a long time as there are thousands of files within that sparsebundle?
{quote}

That's my experience. I left the Finder running for 10 hours trying to delete the sparsebundle file and it didn't finish. Using rm from the terminal took even longer. Now I'm going into the bands and deleting them a few hundred at a time but it's still taking a very long time. It may be faster for me to archive the disk, reformat it, and restore the other files.

If someone can suggest a better solution, please do!

Deleting Sparsebundle file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.