Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTP files to an Apple TV

I would like to be able to FTP Quicktime files directly to a Producers Apple TV so he can view the dailies in a different location, is this possible?

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 11:01 AM

21 replies

Nov 5, 2008 11:34 PM in response to Chenks

Sorry for the dumb questions...

Can I download a Quicktime from a USB drive directly to the Apple TV that it can play?

We are working with an old school producer who wants nothing to do with computers, its either Tape or Blu-Ray. HD tape is proving to be expensive and since Apple doesn't play well with Blu-Ray yet the workflow is too convoluted. We thought the Apple TV might be a nice solution.

I was under the impression that iTunes would run on the Apple TV and would not require a computer. I can understand not being able to ftp to it without a computer but having to connect it to a computer to load and/or view HD content is a bummer.

So did they create Apple TV to sell iTunes?

Nov 6, 2008 12:12 AM in response to capaho

Does iTunes run on an an Apple TV?

I guess I'm kind of missing the point of the Apple TV if it requires a computer. I mean, my computer streams any number of HD formats to an HD monitor so why do I need an Apple TV?

If its on a network and has an IP address, wouldn't it make sense that you could download ATV formatted media files to that address and it would play them?

Nov 6, 2008 1:11 AM in response to Av8Editor

Av8Editor wrote:
Does iTunes run on an an Apple TV?

I guess I'm kind of missing the point of the Apple TV if it requires a computer. I mean, my computer streams any number of HD formats to an HD monitor so why do I need an Apple TV?

If its on a network and has an IP address, wouldn't it make sense that you could download ATV formatted media files to that address and it would play them?

for what you want to do (ie put files on to an appletv), you would need to do this via itunes running on a PC/mac. there is no way to directly put a file on to the appletv.

FTP files to an Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.