Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

enabling file and printer sharing

Hello,

I have emac running mac os X server 10.3.x and i want to enable file and printer sharing so that i can share a the internal modem to be use as fax machine from other client?. I have AFP service running and Print service running also but when I go to system preferences to enable file and printer sharing is not listed there.

thanks
Vic

Emac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), server

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 2:06 PM

2 replies

Nov 5, 2008 2:38 PM in response to webtech

Hi

+". . . I go to system preferences to enable file and printer sharing is not listed there . . ."+

You won't find it there. It's OSX Server after all and not OSX Client. The Print and AFP Services are enabled using Server Admin. To define share points you use Workgroup Manager > Sharing. Enable folders/share points to be shared from there. You also define access and access privileges using the same application.

It's been some time but as I remember Printer Sharing is done from Server Admin. You need to install the printer driver/ppd on the Server itself as well as testing it from there first. In the Print Service the Printer should then be listed. Define a Protocol you want to use (IPP, SMB, PAP) and then add the printer to your clients using the normal methods.

10.3 Server can't share a USB Printer. It can only share networked printers. Which makes it kind of pointless when any savvy client user can access the networked printer directly. If however you simply want to share the internal modem so as clients can use it to fax then I'm not sure if 10.3 supported that option anyway? I could be wrong though. If it is possible then it should work? However if your client machines have built in modems why not simply use those directly?

Tony

enabling file and printer sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.