Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone: does applecare get you the subsidized price on a replacement

Through a series of events too heartbreaking to recount, my iPhone 3G got stolen, and only a month after I'd bought it. I went to the AT&T store to see about getting a replacement and found out that rather than $199 (the subsidized price I first paid), the phone would now be $399. Super.

A store clerk told me however that if I had Applecare for the iPhone, I could get a replacement phone at the Apple Store for the subsidized price ($199). Was this clerk filling my head with false promises or is this actually the truth? Has anyone actually done this? Is there some kind of secret handshake I need to deploy?

If it turns out that's not the truth, are there any other options beyond waiting 18 months to get my replacement at the subsidized price?

Thanks a ton in advance for any advice.

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 7:07 PM

Applecare does nothing for stolen or damaged iphones. It simply extends the one year warranty to two years.

You would have to buy a new one at full price.
4 replies

Nov 5, 2008 7:50 PM in response to mobot

mobot wrote:
If it turns out that's not the truth, are there any other options beyond waiting 18 months to get my replacement at the subsidized price?

The only other option would be if the phone was covered by your homeowners insurance for theft, but most likely that would have to be arranged (and pay extra) in advance, if available at all. Unfortunately, there is no loss/theft insurance available for the iPhone through AT&T, as there is for every other brand of phone they sell.

Stolen iPhone: does applecare get you the subsidized price on a replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.