Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidebar

OK - mark me stupid, but what exactly is the sidebar for in Safari?

iBook 1.2, iMac G5 2.0, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 5, 2008 10:41 PM

8 replies

Nov 6, 2008 9:21 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 wrote:
That menu item does not exist in Tiger.

It doesn't exist in any version of Safari, in Tiger or Leopard, that I'm aware of.

Joel, Safari normally does not have a sidebar.

It looks like there are third-party add-ons that can add a sidebar. Do you have Saft or some other Safari hack/enhancer installed?

Message was edited by: Rachel R

Nov 9, 2008 12:55 AM in response to Joël Huxtable

Hi Joel

In the early days of 3rd party SAFT, the sidebar was used in part for RSS feeds. That function has been replaced by a much more simple method employed by Apple. As such, no need exists for the sidebar. I suggest leaving it unselected in the View Menu.

One other 3rd party item uses a sidebar (really a floating bar that can be placed anywhere in the monitor area). That would be SafariStand - it's named "Stand Bar". This one is used for Bookmarks and History. I guess it's a developer's way of mimicking Firefox's side bar within Safari.

Nov 10, 2008 6:01 AM in response to Joël Huxtable

Joël Huxtable wrote:
PS - as for the config info displayed below, I often forget to fill it in and it puts whatever in there. Sorry. I'm not sure where it gets all that other info. This one has the right stuff.

By default that system information is whatever you have entered in your forum settings. Click on My Settings on the right of any Apple Discussions page, then edit the information after "Computer Model," "Operating System," and "Other Computer Information." You can also edit those fields independently when you post, but the information in your forum preferences will be posted otherwise.

Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.