Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Sigma DP1 Raw X3F files via Adobe DNG Converter to Aperture 2.1.2

I wish to use Aperture 2.1.2 with my Sigma DP1 raw ( X3F format) photos.

I used the latest Adobe DNG converter 5.1.0.30 to successfully convert Sigma DP1 X3F to DNG format files. After importing the DNG files into an Aperture directory, they were not an acceptable file format, and thus I could not use them.

Does this mean that Aperture is not reading the DNG file correctly or Adobe has got it wrong with their DNG conversion of the X3F file format ?

Do I need to wait for an Aperture update to fix the problem of using the X3F file format ? Is there a solution around in using Aperture with Sigma X3F raw photos ?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 6, 2008 1:31 AM

10 replies

Nov 6, 2008 2:44 AM in response to PerceptEye

i'm afraid the foveon sensor is not supported in aperture, and i don't know if plans exist to make it supported. the raw file from those sensors is different from the other ones (bayer type), so having the data in a more universal form (DNG) doesn't help much.
as far as i can remember, the apple page listing compatible cameras mentions this.
j

May 19, 2009 2:14 AM in response to PerceptEye

Aperture does not currently support Sigma X3F or linear DNG (only raw DNG), and Adobe's DNG Converter can only yield a linear DNG from an X3F. So your only choices right now are to use a different product such as Lightroom which does support X3F, or use the supplied Sigma Photo Pro software to generate 16 bit TIFFs which you can then import into Aperture. Because Sigma Photo Pro is unstable and slow on Macs, I've been effectively forced to use Lightroom. Lightroom is a capable product, but it lacks the elegance of Aperture, so I remain dimly hopeful that Apple will eventually support X3F, and somewhat more hopeful that it will at the very least eventually support linear DNG.

May 19, 2009 10:04 AM in response to William Lloyd

Yeah, I had a look at the added raw support when the system update came out and was quietly bummed that X3F wasn't there, but I installed the update anyway. I'm pretty much stuck for now in Lightroom, which is okay in a pragmatic "it works" sort of way. It's got some nice features. It's just a shame that Adobe made such a needless mess of the interface. As a cocoa app, it should have been a cinch to make a truly first class OS X interface. Instead they wrapped the thing in some kind of speed addict's idea of a bad Flash app.

Using Sigma DP1 Raw X3F files via Adobe DNG Converter to Aperture 2.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.