Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generate

Upon connecting to a RedHat Enterprise Linux server via ssh -X I get the following:

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

I have previously (as in last week, ending 11/1/2008) been able to use x11 forwarding from the machine I'm trying to connect to. This problem also occurs with other servers, meaning it must be a problem with my local machine. Any suggestions are welcome.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 6, 2008 7:32 AM

4 replies

Nov 6, 2008 10:21 AM in response to zburnham

I get that if I use

ssh -Y ...

but NOT with -X.

Do you have a $HOME/.ssh/config or /etc/ssh_config file that is specifying ForwardX11Trusted?

Mostly I ignore the message when I get it as, my X11 forwarding works OK, AND I'm in an environment where my fellow employees could do much naster things to me (and get fired for it), than spoofing my X11 sessions.

Nov 11, 2008 7:27 AM in response to zburnham

Turns out my issue was with a bad temp file. I would get a warning that the system couldn't read something in /tmp which I unfortunately did not write down, but it looked like /tmp//:0 . My solution was to restart the system, and that worked, I'm back in business. I'm assuming the system sets up that file at startup.

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.