Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not show Apple TV in devices

I had not tried to sync anything to my Apple TV in about a month or two, so when this problem actually started is anyone's guess.

Yesterday, when I went to sync, I noticed the Apple TV was missing from devices in iTunes. And the Apple TV did not see my network, nothing. Long story short- after reading about a dozen posts here and trying everything suggested, the only thing I was able to restore after a factory reset and resetting my router was I got internet back and am able to view trailers and Youtube videos. I cannot get it to connect with my computer because iTunes will not recognize the Apple TV.

It appears many other users have experienced the same thing for a couple months now with NO solution. That is just crazy. If anyone can offer any more advice, or if Apple could just acknowledge the problem and let us know they are working on the problem, that would be great.

I have family coming in out of town this weekend, and I had hopes of showing them some new pics and home movies, but now my Apple TV is rendered useless when I need it most. This is very unlike most Apple products and I'm surprised users have experienced problems for this long without a fix.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 8, 2008 5:50 AM

8 replies

Nov 12, 2008 12:56 PM in response to macambassador

i have also had this problem and have yet to find a solution. It seems to have started after I installed the atv recent update. since then i've tried everything suggested to make it work. a couple of weeks ago i went and exchanged my atv for a new one. brought the new one home, and still nothing...i've been teetering on the edge of switching to an i mac computer, but now i'm not so sure. when i call apple support they claim to not be able to help because i'm working with a pc. apple...FIX THIS!

Nov 28, 2008 8:13 PM in response to macambassador

hope this helps anyone having issues with Apple TV not showing up in devices.

I noticed around the same time my Apple TV stopped showing in iTunes that Safari was running painfully slow, so I spent my time troubleshooting that instead of dealing with the Apple TV.

Anyway, my DNS server was 208.67.222.222 and several posters suggested i add 208.67.220.220 to my server list, which I did with nothing improving or changing. Well, I just decided to change the order the DNS servers were in, moving 220 above 222 and that instantly solved my Safari issue and internet browsing is blazing fast again. I decided to check if that changed anything with iTunes and it did. After re-entering my network settings into my Apple TV, iTunes now recognizes the Apple TV in the device control panel.

hope that helps.

Nov 29, 2008 12:36 AM in response to macambassador

I agree with you macambassador. Apple should recognize the problem and get serious about it. My Apple TV is frequently not recognized by my itunes, or my AppleTV can't find my network. These states may last for many days, and then without any action on my part they find each other again.

Not only is the ATV expensive compared to other Multimedia Drives on the market, it is patently unreliable and without any effective support. I am not happy.

Dec 25, 2008 11:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have spent the last 3 months trying to get my Appletv to show up in itunes device. I have reset everything. I am clearly a pc user. Is that the problem???
Everything else works. I can see movies, buy and play music. itunes just won't find appletv. All the settings show as fine. My network shows strong. It is just nuts that there is no support. I am major frustrated.
Any new info?
Sandra

Jan 11, 2009 10:38 AM in response to Thomas Pyzdek

I am experienceing this problem for the 2nd time...fixed first time after many hours including factory reset of AppleTV and updating to most recent version...

I do not want to go through this again....please fix.

am using a 2wire modem/router and it is not cisable vis ehternet or wifi network connection.

After convinceing 5 people to buy an AppleTV, I simply cannnot reomend any longer due to the fragility of keeping it connected to iTunes. What a maddening hassle.

Apple Please fix.

iTunes will not show Apple TV in devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.