Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe After Effects CS4 doesn't support PowerPC architecture CPU

As installation of CS4 Master Collection, I notice that there are some applications missing. After Effects as well as a bunch of other applications have the warning "This product does not support PowerPC architecture CPU". This is not good since its really the only piece of software I need.

Here are the specs on my computer:

processor 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
Memory 16 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Mac OS X version 10.5.4

I spent quite a bit of money on this computer and putting memory into it. Is there nothing I can do? Some sort of inexpensive component I can change or add in order for After Effects to work? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 8, 2008 1:45 PM

9 replies

Nov 8, 2008 9:10 PM in response to Jonathan Lewis3

Nothing you can do to make AE CS4 work, short of buying an Intel Mac. It's only going to get worse in that regard with more and more apps that are Intel-only, so it's very important to read the system requirements carefully before buying.

If you have or can find a copy of AE CS3, you could use it with the CS4 programs that will run on PPC.

Nov 8, 2008 9:31 PM in response to Steve Boultbee

Just kind of crummy that since it comes in a bundle, as an option, that the bundle itself doesn't carry some kind of warning or wording about System Requirements. I can imagine this happening to other G5 and earlier users. I guess the "old mac" lobby kept Photoshop still current in our hands. Doubt it will be in the next upgrade.

I wonder if Adobe is allowing customers to pick and choose what versions are in a bundle for the same discount. Swapping new for old, maybe.

Nov 9, 2008 12:29 PM in response to Samsara

Just kind of crummy that since it comes in a bundle, as an option, that the bundle itself doesn't carry some kind of warning or wording about System Requirements.

Well the CS3 Production Premium box does have a warning, so I would presume that the CS4 box does as well. CS3's box says "System Requirements: Multicore Intel processor (Adobe Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, Flash Professional, and After Effects Professional are universal binary and also work on a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor)." So, right there you can tell that Premiere, Soundbooth and Encore don't run on PowerPC in CS3.

I can imagine this happening to other G5 and earlier users.

Why is that? G5 PowerPC code runs on any G5 - so unless you're going to limit it based on CPU clock speed, the earliest G5s wouldn't be giving up anything to the newer ones except for overall speed, obviously.

Doubt it will be in the next upgrade.

I'd agree. At that point, even the newest G5s will be about 5 years old, and it's clear that Adobe is moving towards Intel only support rather quickly.

I wonder if Adobe is allowing customers to pick and choose what versions are in a bundle for the same discount. Swapping new for old, maybe.

Won't happen. Adobe's upgrade policies aren't very generous. Not only are the costs rather steep, but if you're upgrading from the standalone versions to the suite, your upgrade price is based on you owning one of the apps that's part of the suite in the new version. You get no extra credit even if you have all of the suite's apps as standalone versions (e.g. if you have AE, Illustrator, PS, and Flash, it's the same upgrade price as it is if you only owned PS).

Nov 9, 2008 1:23 PM in response to Steve Boultbee

Well the CS3 Production Premium box does have a warning

I was thinking more in lines of what Adobes web page says, or said, or didn't say. For a while, there wasn't much info on specs. Just clicking on some spec links didn't work. You really had to go into each products specs and see, and as I said links didn't always work. It's understandable because of the changes in the product line up. So it's only very recent that Adobe produced a page that looked like this one:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/

I can imagine this happening to other G5 and earlier users.

Why is that? G5 PowerPC code runs on any G5 - so unless you're going to limit it based on CPU clock speed, the earliest G5s wouldn't be giving up anything to the newer ones except for overall speed, obviously.

What I imagine happening is people who have non-intel macs but who have used Adobe products for years, or just don't know what this PPC-Intel thing is all about, will trust that Adobe will provide for them. Like Adobe did with Photoshop CS4.

Adobe After Effects CS4 doesn't support PowerPC architecture CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.