6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2008 3:02 PM by S.U.
STPB Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have a macbook pro. Today I used it until it was almost empty of charge, then I turned it off. I tried to charge the battery and the it does not get charge and it doesn't even give power to the laptop so I could turn it on. The charger works in another laptop but not in this one so it seems that the problem is in the magnet part. Please tell me what should I do?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • CMCSK Level 6 Level 6 (10,580 points)
    Today I used it until it was almost empty of charge, then I turned it off.


    Disconnect all peripherals and the power cord, remove the battery. Take a deep breath & count to 60 slowly. Reconnect the power cord and battery and see if the machine starts normally. If it does, you can start connecting all peripherals one at a time.

    If this tactic does not work, disconnect the power cord and hold down the Power button for 5 seconds, then reconnect the power adapter and press the Power Button to turn on the computer.

    To properly calibrate - Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
  • S.U. Level 6 Level 6 (8,360 points)
    You might try resetting the SMC and see if this helps:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US

    Good luck!
  • STPB Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Than you very much for your help but it didn't work. Seems like it doesn't get the power so I cannot turn it on.
  • S.U. Level 6 Level 6 (8,360 points)
    Check the port where you plug in the power adaptor for any signs of damage, such as a dislodged pin.

    In general, the 3 things that can cause problems are the power adaptor, the battery, and the left I/O board (which has the port on it.)

    Do you have a friend with the same MBP? If so, try their battery to see if yours will start up with a working battery. Also see if your adapter will charge a good battery. And will yours start up with the power adaptor plugged in, but the battery removed?

    Good luck!
  • STPB Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    The port seems ok. I tried a macbook adaptor that works fine with a macbook and it does not work, it doesn't even turn on the little light. I don't have any friends with a 17' macbook pro. I also tried an extra battery that I have but I don't know if it is empty of charge or it just don't work.
    The MBP won't turn on even it is connected to the adaptor, it looks like the MBP and the cable are not making contact.
    I also tried reseting it as they suggested me with no luck!
    Thanks again
  • S.U. Level 6 Level 6 (8,360 points)
    I can relate to that--I too have a 17" MBP, and don't know anybody else with one.

    Do you by any chance have Applecare or access to an Apple Store? If you have Applecare, you can call them, and they will walk you through all possible troubleshooting steps.

    If you have access to an Apple Store, you can make an appointment with someone at the genius bar. They will be able to try out a known good adaptor from the store and a known good battery from one of their 17" demo MBP's. They could also try your battery in one of their machines, and they could test your power adaptor on one of their machines. By swapping out batteries and adaptors, they can determine what is working and what is not. You could do this yourself if you had a friend with a 17" MBP.

    Incidentally, I believe the MacBook power adaptor is 65W rather than 85W, so it won't work on your MBP.

    Since you ran your battery all the way down, I would be suspicious of it. I don't know how old the battery was or how many cycles it might have had on it, but I understand that the battery also contains a microprocessor, and this microprocessor can fail. And if the battery is messed up in this fashion, it could well be causing the problem.

    Since the power adaptor works with another machine, I would assume that it is OK.

    What happens if you remove the battery, plug in the adaptor, and try to start up?

    It would be instructive to see if the Mac would work with a new battery.

    The final possibility would be the left I/O Board, which is what contains the power port. If a new battery does not fix the problem, then you might need to look into replacing this board. However, I think the problem is far more likely to be the battery. Given the circumstances you describe, I really don't think a faulty I/O Board is the problem here.

    Good luck!