Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth headset for MacBook Pro

I use skype for all my telecommunications and I need to find an excellent bluetooth headset for the MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 9, 2008 11:16 AM

13 replies

Dec 17, 2008 11:45 AM in response to disfasia

1) I have two new MacBook Pro Unibody Aluminum Late 2008 models. I can replicate this problem on both units.
2) I am using Skype 2.7.0.330.
3) I've tested this with MacOS 10.5.5 and 10.5.6

If I set up a bluetooth Headset and use it with Skype, it degrades into illegible audio in about 5 minutes. Only a reboot of the Mac cures it. At worst, it even locks up the OS and the stack trace on the report sent to Apple shows some of the BT methods/stack as the culprit. A reboot of the Headset does not help restore legible audio.

I have tried three brands and models of BlueTooth Headsets:
Plantronics 510
Jabra BT 250v
Motorola H350

All headsets exhibit the same problem. Problem can be replicated on both MBPs. This worked just fine on the old 2007 MBP.

I even went so far as to just play music through the BlueTooth headsets via iTunes. The audio starts chopping up around 5 minutes of use. Again, only a reboot of the Mac helps.

Dec 17, 2008 4:57 PM in response to demolasko

Per the questions posed:

Yup, should have said so. Sanity tested the same behavior with:
1) My iPhone Headphones, which just plug in to the headphone socket yet use the mic on the headphones line
2) A USB Plantronics headset (DSP 400) which worked for a 10 hour conference call without a hitch.

So the alternate, non bluetooth headset approaches work like a champ.

And remember, this behavior is exhibited outside Skype -- even with iTunes just playing music to the headsets.

Jan 14, 2009 12:54 PM in response to demolasko

Amen! Same here. This is very annoying. After discovering that Bluetooth PAN was not usable at all. Now, I just tried to use my Bluetooth Plantronics 590 headset as "headphone" to listen to music and had to disconnect it almost immediately. There was a serious audible distortion all the time. Unusable again. That headphone worked beautifully with my previous MacBook Pro (2006) under Tiger. I paid over $3000 for this new MacBook Pro with taxes and it has some serious parts of it that are unusable. Not fun...

Message was edited by: NemesysSoft

Feb 21, 2009 8:03 PM in response to demolasko

My Bluetooth headset/headphones (insignia) worked great for a few days. Then out of nowhere I was in a call over Skype and I could hear the other end just find, but all they could hear was static. Did a test call with Skype and it produced same results, nothing but horrible static. Discharged my MB, rebooted, gave it another shot, and again, same thing. Tried my Plantronics headset that I use with my Blackberry, and I could hear fine on these also, but no static or sound or anything was transmitted when calling Skype or someone else, it was like the headset was muted, but wasn't. Set Skype to use my internal mic and speakers and everything works great this way.

So the audio works fine on both B/T headsets for listening to Itunes or any sound, but the audio in is either static or not present at all. Internal speakers and internal microphone function as normal.

Apr 11, 2009 5:27 AM in response to texasthad

Texasthad, I have exactly the same problem with my Sony DRC-BT15 and Mac Pro. The headphone function is crystal clear, the headset audio output is fine, but the mic is just static.

I have noticed if I remove the unit and then pair it again, sometimes I can get it to work again. But eventually it starts to echo and then just feeds back into endless distortion.

The problem isn't just skype, any application I try to use the DRC-BT15 with, same problem on the mic.

If you find a solution I would love to know.

Bluetooth headset for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.