Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are alpha/numeric keys inoperative on aluminum apple wireless keyboard

This is a follow on to previous topic that i answered.
I was able to get my wireless keyboard partially operational.
It is paired and only partially functionall
• Alpha numeric keys do not work
• Delete Key (backward) and fn-Delete (forward) work
• Arrow keys work
• Function keys and
• Mouse keys are working 8 (up), k (down), u (left), o (right), 7 (up diagonal left), l (down diagonal right), j (down diagonal left, 9 (up diagonal right). i is the mouse click.
i am leaving this up for the benefit of other Wireless Keyboard users.

THE APPARENT PROBLEM IS IN THE UNIVERSAL ACCESS PREFERENCES.

I just hit Opt key five times and now the Wireless Keyboard is working very well. The mouse keys are now normal keys for Alpha Numerics. Note i am typing 8, k, u, o, 7, l, j, 9, i. . Now do Opt five times.

(typed on my USB keyboard) There is a alarm sound when the change over occurs. Now the Alpha Numerics are inoperative and the mouse keys work. Remember that the wireless keyboard does not have a number pad. Therefore; when mouse keys are activated the above alphanumeric keys take the place of number pad 8, 2. 4. 6, 7, 3, 1, 9, and 5.

Now back to the wireless keyboard. From top to bottom, left to right lower case keys:
zxcvbnm,./ asdfghjkl;', qwertyuiop[]\ `1234567890-=

From top to bottom, left to UPPER CASE keys:
ZXCVBNM,./ ASDFGHJKL:" QWERTYUIOP{}| ~!@#$%^&*()_+

So i answered my question and leave it for your benefit. One other comment:
When i first set up the keyboard and spent half a day yesterday thinking i was getting nowhere because the green ON light was out. Chalk that up to what i consider poor documentation which didn't describe normal operating conditions.

It isn't supposed to light except during initial setup when it flashes. The caps lock key lights when it is pressed SO THAT IS A GOOD INDICATION THE KEYBOARD IS ACTIVE.

Regards: The General

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2GB RAM, 500GB Western Digital Time Machine

Posted on Nov 9, 2008 6:04 PM

2 replies

Jan 15, 2009 1:46 PM in response to GENERAL LUDD

General, you are a genius. This happened to me just last week. I racked my brain trying to figure it out. Apple Care had no idea and recommended I exchange my keyboard for a new one, which I did. The problem still persisted. I tried deleting my bluetooth plist and using a USB keyboard which resulted in disaster when I used the number pad and suddenly my mouse no longer worked.

I scoured the literature looking for some sort of key-lock function and found zip. Apple Care told me to take in the entire CPU. Unsatisfied with that, I researched further and found your thread. I told Apple Care they need to tell Apple to make a note of this in their literature!

Thanks again!

Why are alpha/numeric keys inoperative on aluminum apple wireless keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.