Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat login

Whenever I try to log on my iChat it keeps saying "you have attempted to login too often in a short period of time. wait a few minutes before trying to login again" ive waited over a half hour and its still not working
so now i decided to go on my pc and try to go on regular aim and it says "you're signing on again too soon. try again later"
is it my screen name or is there something i can do to fix it on my computers?

Posted on Nov 10, 2008 6:23 PM

38 replies

Dec 2, 2008 8:11 PM in response to earlthepearl36

I am getting this same error on my iMac (see stats below), using iChat 4.0.5, trying to log in to an AIM account. I have tried changing port numbers ... MANY different ones! ... in combination with SSL turned on or off.

None of it has helped. Not one thing.

I'm seeing a lot of folks reporting this same problem, and saying that changing port settings does not work. I suspect iChat was broken during a recent OS update, because it had worked a few weeks ago, but no longer does.

Dec 4, 2008 1:04 PM in response to djhalnon

Hi,

Try this.

Shut down the Mac. (If it has an Airport Card turn this off first)
Unplug the Ethernet Cable if using that method. (leave the modem connected to the Internet) (remove whichever end is easier to reach.)
Restart the Computer (With no Internet Connection)
Restart iChat (it will remark/protest it has no Internet connection)
Turn on Airport Card or Plug in Ethernet Cable.
Now Log In to AIM with iChat.

Try a Video chat with one of the Apple Test Accounts
See Table 1 http://www.ralphjohns.co.uk/ContactTesters.html

User uploaded file

9:04 PM Thursday; December 4, 2008

Dec 5, 2008 1:22 PM in response to AtlantaAngel

It will depend how you set it up.

Which model is it ?
Have you got it doing DHCP ?
IS the device (modem) you connected it to doing DHCP ?

By default most Netgears do UPnP and have a set up page for turning it Off.
It should stay Enabled.

What you should do is go to the WAN page and Disable the DOS or SPI item and allow Responses to Pings on the WAN port

User uploaded file

9:22 PM Friday; December 5, 2008

Dec 5, 2008 3:43 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have a router, however, I have wifi turned off on my Mac (not just disconnected) and am connected via ethernet to the router.

I have Parallels installed, but did not have it running when I was trying to use iChat. Besides, I've had Parallels on my Mac for months and iChat worked fine up to a couple weeks ago.

I have no idea about MIMO, I don't even know if the router is capable of it (it's a Netgear WGT624 v3). But I tried running iChat with all other wi-fi devices turned off and it still did not work ... again, though, it had worked before.

Message was edited by: djhalnon

Dec 6, 2008 5:55 AM in response to Defcom-UK

The Netgear is from 2007, so it's a few months over a year old, and it's been updated with the latest firmware (2.0.26_1.0.1) several months ago.

As further exploration of this issue ... I used Adium to connect to AIM on my Mac, and it worked fine. I also used AOL's own Windows IM inside my Parallels VM (running Vista SP1), and that also worked. I can also connect to AIM using multiple clients from both of my laptops (an iBook G4 running Tiger, and a Lenovo Ideapad running Vista SP1). So the router must be doing something right.

So far, everything points only to iChat. I suppose I could keep using Adium in its place, but while Adium is nice, I much prefer iChat! 🙂

iChat login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.