Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shipping from China?

Purchased my 16 MB IPOD touch yesterday off the Apple web site. Got a fed ex tracking number and it's being shipped in from China. I know they are built in China, but I just find it odd that they have no domestic supply facility in the US to ship it from, instead of shipping it all the way from China to my house.

Message was edited by: wxman2003

Message was edited by: wxman2003

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2008 8:50 PM

8 replies

Nov 10, 2008 9:19 PM in response to Merged Content 1

No, mine neither, but I think we are the exception. I'm sure many iPod purchasers do go with the laser engraving. I'm just saying that it's easier for any Apple Store online purchases at this time just to ship direct if they are offering this option. Can you imaging Apple having to open up the box, setup the laser engraving and repackaging it? I'm sure that for non-laser engraved orders could be batch sent, but why bother, I guess?

Nov 11, 2008 1:08 AM in response to Merged Content 1

Why have a bunch of products shipped from manufacturing to sit in a warehouse?
Someone has to inventory, pack it up ship it off.
Then someone unpacks it, inventories it then puts it in a warehouse.
You buy it a day later and someone has to find it in the warehouse, pack it up and ship it off.

Ship directly from the manufacturing plant to reduce handling and storage costs.

Nov 11, 2008 11:47 AM in response to Chris CA

It would make sense to do that, However, Apple does not always make sense. Funny that I ordered a power adaptor for my ipod the same day. They were shipped the same day and both coming from China. My ipod was shipped the 10th via fed ex with a delivery date of the 14th, while the power adapator was shipped via DHL on the 10th with a delivery day of the 21st. Apple claims that it is try to be eco friendly, yet it is shipping 2 seperate packages that easily could have been combined.

Nov 13, 2008 12:00 AM in response to Merged Content 1

I've been tracking my ipod and it's set to arrive today. However when I checked on the power adaptor which is being sent via DHL, the tracking is quite amusing. Apparently it left China, was on it's way to Los Angeles, sent back to China, and now back in transit to LA.

11/12/2008 15:40:00 IN TRANSIT LOS ANGELES
11/11/2008 10:15:08 IN TRANSIT Shenzen, HK
11/11/2008 23:55:00 IN TRANSIT HONG KONG
11/11/2008 17:08:00 IN TRANSIT LOS ANGELES, CA
11/11/2008 15:52:00 IN TRANSIT LOS ANGELES, CA
11/11/2008 11:20:00 IN TRANSIT HONG KONG

Shipping from China?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.