Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Specs from serial number?

I am considering purchasing an XServe from a computer surplus house. They are representing the computer as a 2007 machine, but they don't know much about it... The serial number is XB31600 **. When I go to the warranty page on Apple's website, it says the computer is out of warranty, but doesn't really give any more information on processors, etc. However, it does put up a picture of what looks like a G4 server... but I didn't think Apple was still producing G4 servers in 2007, so, I'm a little confused. Is there any way to get the specs of the computer using the serial number?

<Edited by Moderator>

???, ???

Posted on Nov 11, 2008 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2008 9:50 AM

If the vendor won't tell you what it is in anything other than the most general of terms, then I'd buy the particular widget only as parts or as scrap. And only at a price commensurate with that viewpoint.

On the pull-out tag on the back of the Intel Xserve boxes (same tag as the chassis serial number, adjacent to the network jacks) is a full system description of the box as was shipped, as well as the box model number.

According to the Chipmunk serial number decoder, that's a 1.33 GHz PPC box manufactured circa 2003.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2008 9:50 AM in response to Steven Sugg

If the vendor won't tell you what it is in anything other than the most general of terms, then I'd buy the particular widget only as parts or as scrap. And only at a price commensurate with that viewpoint.

On the pull-out tag on the back of the Intel Xserve boxes (same tag as the chassis serial number, adjacent to the network jacks) is a full system description of the box as was shipped, as well as the box model number.

According to the Chipmunk serial number decoder, that's a 1.33 GHz PPC box manufactured circa 2003.

Nov 11, 2008 1:42 PM in response to Steven Sugg

They are representing the computer as a 2007 machine, but they don't know much about it... The serial number is XB31600 **

They are lyi^H^H^H misrepresenting the machine.

For sure, if it's a G4 it wasn't made in 2007.

To decode the serial number the first two characters (in this case XB) indicate the factory, the third character (3) is the year - in this case 2003, and the fourth and fifth characters (16) indicate the week number. Therefore this machine was manufactured in April 2003. It isn't worth more than a few bucks (literally).

Specs from serial number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.