Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play iPod on Windows computer

I have been searching the internet for hours trying to find a solution to what I thought would be a common thing to want to do with an iPod, but cannot find an answer anywhere! I want to know how to simply plug my iPod into a Windows computer, perhaps via a cable from the headphone jack to the line-in on the soundcard, and then play my music over the computer's speakers. I don't want to install iTunes or copy music from the iPod to the computer. I just want to know a way to plug the iPod into the computer and play the music over the computer's speakers. Seems so simple, but I cannot figure out how or find any info on the web.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 18, 2005 4:03 PM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2005 4:33 PM in response to Brian Metcalf

I want to know how to simply plug my iPod into a Windows computer, perhaps via a cable from the headphone jack to the line-in on the soundcard, and then play my music over the computer's speakers.

I think you answered your own question. Get a cable with a miniplug connector on both ends (sometimes called a patch cable) and connect the iPod's headphone jack to the line in on your soundcard. Then open up the volume screen in Windows, enable the line input (go to the Recording volumes screen), and turn the line input volume up.

Oct 25, 2005 1:00 PM in response to Brian Metcalf

Brian,

I was looking for this same information. Today someone showed me how to do this. I plug the Ipod into my USB port. Then go into the "Display Ipod options" in Itunes (lower right - picture of an Ipod). Under the Ipod tab, there is a music tab. The third radio button down is "manually manage songs & playlists" - select this. It will give you a warning message that you have to ok. This allows your ipod to show up in itunes on that computer without transferring the songs to the computer and the music will play thru the speakers.

I understand the main thing when you do this is BEFORE you unplug the Ipod from the USB, you should "eject" the Ipod (Ctrl-E?). The person didn't tell me what happens if you don't do it, but I'll take their word for it. The person who showed me this also suggested going thru Windows XP's "Safely remove hardware" process for USB drives (find the green arrow on bottow right of Windows screen) before disconnecting.

Hope this helps!

Play iPod on Windows computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.