Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer

Hi there,

I am connected to a server running OS X 10.5 from my MacBook Pro (running 10.4.11) via X11, using ssh -Y. Some programs I run on the remote machine successfully open windows on my screen (nedit, for example) but with others (Safari, Firefox, fslview) I get the following error:

_RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.

I've looked around on forums for a fix, and it seems certain programs use aqua and not x11 and thus can not be accessed using a remote terminal connection.

But there MUST be some fix for this, right?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), server running OS X 10.5

Posted on Nov 14, 2008 8:53 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2008 10:42 AM in response to rignyc

As far as I know, the best you can do is to enable Screen Sharing on the server and give it a VNC password.

Since you are using Tiger, get a VNC client (JollysFastVNC, Chicken of the VNC, etc...) and connect to the server that way.

An alternative to the Mac OS X Screen Sharing component would be to install your own VNC server, such as Vine Server (aka OSXvnc).

However, to the best of my knowledge, the Mac OS X GUI subsystem is NOT designed like the X11 client/server model. So all you can do is ship the entire display via VNC, not just a single application's window.

FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.