Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine backups cache and temp files?

Just bought a new external usb disk and used it as the time machine backup volume. All time machine configurations are remained as default, so it would backup all my current HD. While watching it estimating the time that the first backup would take, a question jump out in my mind:

Will time machine backup all files "honestly"? Will it make a copy of every file including the Internet cache and temp files when I'm browsing websites? I'm used to watch youtube a lot, and the temp flv file would be large (though I don't know where it is stored on Leopard). If these files would be backup-ed as well, I think it would be a great waste of disk space.

Can anyone confirm that those caches and temp files would be copied or not? If it would, how to prevent this? Thank you.

Macbook 062A, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2008 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2008 9:31 AM

If you wish to exclude anything from the backup simply drag the item into the Exclude list. For example, you can save considerable space by excluding the /System/ folder. Cache files would be found in the /Library/ and /Home/Library/ folders. Each folder contains a folder named Caches. There is no specific folder in which temporary items as stored that is visible to the user because the operating system will usually delete temporary files on its own. This may not be the case for a specific program, however. Browsers may maintain their own reserved cache and temporary files, and manage them on their own.

I do not think, however, that TM backs up caches or temporary files. I find no such items in my TM backup - only the folders. I do not back up my /System/ folder.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2008 9:31 AM in response to de_soya

If you wish to exclude anything from the backup simply drag the item into the Exclude list. For example, you can save considerable space by excluding the /System/ folder. Cache files would be found in the /Library/ and /Home/Library/ folders. Each folder contains a folder named Caches. There is no specific folder in which temporary items as stored that is visible to the user because the operating system will usually delete temporary files on its own. This may not be the case for a specific program, however. Browsers may maintain their own reserved cache and temporary files, and manage them on their own.

I do not think, however, that TM backs up caches or temporary files. I find no such items in my TM backup - only the folders. I do not back up my /System/ folder.

Nov 14, 2008 9:31 AM in response to de_soya

no, cache and temp files are not backed up by TM. there is actually a bunch of stuff that TM never backs up. to see the full list of default exclusions go to /System/Library/CoreServices, control-click on backupd.bundle and select "show package contents. go to Contents/Resources and quicklook StdExclusions.plist.

time machine backups cache and temp files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.