8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2008 2:09 AM by Emerson Fortune
Asen Level 1 (5 points)
Hi, all!

I am trying to burn a rewritable DVD, HP DVD+RW on my Matshita R UJ 857E and each time I try I always get the following message:

*Drive Reported an Error:*
*Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR*
*Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03*

This happens with a few RW DVD disks that I tried to burn. The disks are HP disks and they work correctly on a PC.

Please, advise!

Message was edited by: Asen

MakBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Thomas Bryant Level 6 (13,865 points)
    Hi! Sounds like you need to slow down the burn speed. Tom
  • demolasko Level 2 (390 points)
    this seems to be happening with burning software

will this help?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1777891&tstart=30
  • Asen Level 1 (5 points)
    Unfortunately, noting helped so far. I lowered the speed, no result either.

What I realized is that it generates the same funny report with +R or +RW disks. -R and -RW create no problem.

Any thoughts?..
    i have problems buring every once in a while .... im just waiting for 10.5.6 if that dont work im takin it to apple.
  • Emerson Fortune Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi All

I'm also having problems burning DVDs on my MacBook Pro, no problems buring CDs.

Each time I try to burn a DVD the disc is ejected, often during finishing, and 'medium write error'is displayed. I have tried different media and varying speeds but with no success, Suggestions?
  • Asen Level 1 (5 points)
    Emerson Fortune wrote:
    Hi All

I'm also having problems burning DVDs on my MacBook Pro, no problems buring CDs.

Each time I try to burn a DVD the disc is ejected, often during finishing, and 'medium write error'is displayed. I have tried different media and varying speeds but with no success, Suggestions?

After reading and testing a lot, I am convinced this is a DVD ROM problem. I believe, MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E has some problems with some brands DVD+R discs.

I simply cannot figure out what is the reason to go on using those dvd roms in MakBooks after so many problems reported...

Message was edited by: Asen
    i actually do not have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E drive and i seem to be having the oposite problem // i cannot burn CD's and i can burn DVD's
  • Emerson Fortune Level 1 (0 points)
    I seem to have resolved the problem of not being able to burn DVD's, after trying everything else I used a DVD Lens cleaner. I've burnt 8 DVD's of different media brands without any problems.