Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import DV into iMovie 6 or 8?

I will use iMovie HD 6 for my editing, but when I import the DV from my camcorder there is a great loss in color quality/range. Is there any benefit to importing into iMovie 8 over iMovie 6? And if I import into iMovie 8 can I transfer that video clip to iMovie 6 to work with?

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.0 GHz 1GB RAM

Posted on Nov 15, 2008 9:46 AM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2008 12:36 PM in response to JayCas

You may need to calibrate your Mac's display to match the display on your camcorder's monitor - or whatever else you normally watch your video on.

Go to System Preferences>Displays and click the 'Color' tab, and choose 'Calibrate...'

Here's what Dan's incredibly useful "iMovie FAQ" has to say about this.. http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6008.shtml

Alternatively, before recalibrating, still using 'Displays', just try changing the resolution of your screen display back and forth a couple of times, and see if that resets the colour and quality successfully. If it's on an inappropriate setting (..for instance if a lower-resolution monitor has been plugged into your laptop..) then both the sharpness (resolution) and colour will suffer.

Import DV into iMovie 6 or 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.