2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2008 6:32 PM by David Yeh
David Yeh Level 1 Level 1
expertise.desktops
Desktops
A while back, I installed the .flv 3rd party Quicklook plugin available from http://homepage.mac.com/xdd/software/flv/

Is anyone else using this? I installed it in ~/Library/Quicklook; I had to reset the Quicklook plugins with qlmanage -r from the Terminal, but it worked initially. Somewhere along the line (I'm not sure when, since I just happened to try it for the first time in a long time today), it stopped working-- all quiklook does is throw up a generic icon preview with no video preview. I do have Perian installed, and the movie plays fine with QT Player. I'm up to OS X 10.5.5 now. Looking for some help... I also emailed the author, but the web page is all in Japanese, so I'm not sure well my English email will be comprehended...

Thanks.
Solved by Francine Schwieder on Nov 15, 2008 2:24 PM Solved
I have both Perian and flv.qlgenerator (version 0.1 creation date 11/3/07) installed, and just checked an .flv file, a Finder Preview showed up, and it also played in QuickLook. However, I installed it here:

/Library/QuickLook/flv.qlgenerator

Not in my home folder, so it would work for all users. I do not recall having to do anything with the Terminal with the 8 plug-ins I installed in /Library/QuickLook.
Francine

Francine
Schwieder
  • Francine Schwieder Level 6 Level 6
    I have both Perian and flv.qlgenerator (version 0.1 creation date 11/3/07) installed, and just checked an .flv file, a Finder Preview showed up, and it also played in QuickLook. However, I installed it here:

/Library/QuickLook/flv.qlgenerator

Not in my home folder, so it would work for all users. I do not recall having to do anything with the Terminal with the 8 plug-ins I installed in /Library/QuickLook.
    Francine

Francine
    Schwieder
  • David Yeh Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    Thanks for the tip; I moved it to /Library, and it is working now. It didn't do anything initially, so I did another 'qlmanage -r' in Terminal, and it started working. I'm not sure where I read to do that, but apparently it helps to kickstart things, although I think Finder figures it out eventually, or maybe a restart would do it too. I'm not sure why it stopped working in ~/Library, since I thought that was a legitimate location, but OK.

Just some interesting asides: I moved it back to ~/Library to test it, and it worked for a while, until I restarted the computer. Maybe the plugin info was cached somewhere so it worked temporarily even with the move. After the restart, I had to to move it back to /Library. Also, curious about the qlmanage command, I looked at its other options, which includes qlmanage -m to list currently loaded plugins. With the plugin in ~/Library, it is actually listed as loaded, but it just doesn't work. After moving it to /Library and doing a qlmanage -r, qlmanage -m still reports it as being in ~/Library, but it actually works. After a restart, it then reports it as being in /Library (and it still works). All very confusing to me, but bottom line is, it does appear to work in /Library as you suggested--thanks.