Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Max. video size on iPhone

I know there is a lot of articles about this but I didnt find straight answer about this because some say this and some say that.

So. I want Rip my DVD on Maximum Size and quality so I can watch it on ma Laptop or TV but still be able to put it on iPhone. Because I dont have iPhone yet but want to start rip my DVDs I need to know from somebody who done it...

1. Whats the Max. Size I can rip and still be able to put it on iPhone (probably iPhone3)
2. I know that ideal would be 640x480 but I heard that 720x400 can be put on iPhone without any problems.

Lets say I will do it in 720x400 how its gonna appear on iPhones screen.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4, 2GB DDR SDRAM , SONY HD camcorder HDR-SR12

Posted on Nov 16, 2008 1:14 PM

2 replies

Nov 16, 2008 4:53 PM in response to thepitcho

This is directly from the iPhone Specs Page

Video

* Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

If you happen to have a High Def movie from iTunes Store in iTunes. You can right click on it, Get Info, And this will tell you the total size of that. It may be bigger then what the Specs show.

Also keep in mind on Discussions we can not discuss the ripping of DVD's

Max. video size on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.