Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3G Calling random people by itself

I find lately with my iPhone 3G that it calls people by itself. I was just driving down the road in the car with the phone beside me and all of a sudden i heard 'hello, hello' and low and behold there was my mother on the phone.

has anyone else experienced this? i was wondering if it was voice activated or if it was a bug or something?

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Dual 2GHZ G5/1GB Ram/400GB HD/20" Cinema Display

Posted on Nov 17, 2008 7:19 AM

52 replies

Nov 20, 2008 12:55 PM in response to Peter O'Toole

I have the exact same problem
Mine occurs like this:
My phone calls, (it either says, blocked or unknown number) i answer the phone and says hallo (5 times it did this, and no one replied so i thought someone was making some prank)

(happened the same night)the sixth time, it did this again, and i answered, and i hears my friend who were sleeping, and i just hang up.. then a few days ago, my iphone is in my room locked and in its dock, and it calls. i answer it, and its the exact same friend. and he is saying that i was calling him, and on my phone he was calling me.

tonight i got 2 calls, from 2 random people, and it appeared to them as i called them, and to me they were calling me. (i did not have the friends number, nor did i have the other random calls number)

i use Telia from Denmark, and its an iPhone 3G not jailbroken version 2.1

Nov 20, 2008 1:11 PM in response to Shimfs

"i did not have the friends number, nor did i have the other random calls number"

WOW!!!!! YOU didn't have the number but somehow your super-intelligent and clairvoyant iPhone DID have the numbers to be able to make calls to them 'out of the blue'???? Magic!!! Can I have one please so that I can call all of those important people whose numbers I don't know and then be able to say that it wasn't 'me' who was calling them, pretty-please? 😉

Perhaps something else is happening here with some situation details missing......?

Nov 20, 2008 1:30 PM in response to Envision99

The firmware is 2.1. It's a very strange bug and somewhat annoying as there i am trying to make all my friends jealous and then they find out that it randomly rings people! haha

It would be great if someone else came across this problem and had a fix or better still that apple acknowledged that there is a p[problem and agree to fix it in a future update.

I'm using O2 Ireland by the way.

Nov 20, 2008 1:34 PM in response to Envision99

OS X base version or optimized version for the iPhone, I'm not sure how a virus (or a better term to use for this would be malware since the definition of a virus includes propagating on its own and being installed without a user's knowledge) can be installed on an iPhone since nothing can be installed on an iPhone except for 3rd party applications acquired via the iTunes app store, or with a jailbroken phone. All bets are off in regards to potential malware with a jailbroken phone.

You haven't heard of any viruses for the iPhone and neither have I because there aren't any, and zero in the wild that affect or infect OS X which has been available for 8 years now.

Nov 21, 2008 7:40 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Sorry for throwing a thought out there. Anyways, I just found this info out in an article I read yesterday:

A new iPhone vulnerability allowing a website to force a call to any number may be resolved in a firmware release tomorrow.

The vulnerability was presented in a press release from the Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology (SIT). They indicate that Apple has been notified of the threat and that a fix will become available on November 21st through a firmware upgrade.

It is thought that this firmware upgrade might very well be the iPhone 2.2 update which was similarly predicted by iPhoneHellas.

Nov 21, 2008 11:25 AM in response to Allan Sampson

A google search shows that mac computers were being infected before IBM based computers. 1982 was the first boot sector virus for macs.

And OS X had had viruses in the wild since 2004...
2004: The Renepo script worm attempted to disable Mac OS X security, downloaded hacking tools to affected computers, and gave criminals admin rights to the Apple Macintosh. Hackers also wrote a proof-of-concept program called Amphimix which demonstrated how executable code could be disguised as an MP3 music file on an Apple Mac.

2006: Leap-A, the first ever virus for Mac OS X was discovered. Leap-A can spread via iChat. The Inqtana worm and proof-of-concept virus soon followed.

2007: Sophos discovered an OpenOffice multi-platform macro worm capable of running on Windows, Linux and Mac computers. The BadBunny worm dropped Ruby script viruses on Mac OS X systems, and displayed an indecent JPEG image of a man wearing a rabbit costume.
Sophos reported the first financial malware for Mac. The gang developed both Windows and Mac versions of their malware.

2008: Cybercriminals targeted Mac and PC users in equal measure, by planting poisoned adverts on TV-related websites. If accessed via an Apple Mac, surfers would be attacked by a piece of Macintosh scareware called MacSweeper.
In June, the OSX/Hovdy-A Trojan horse was discovered that could steal passwords from Mac OS X users, open the firewall to give access to hackers, and disable security settings.

Source: www.sophos.com

Nov 21, 2008 11:52 AM in response to pc2k07

Nice try!

Please explain why I get pages of SECURITY updates for anything 'Windows' almost weekly (even though I have anti-everything protection on my PC-things but I get only a handful of Mac updates INCLUDING security updates every month?

Computer Security 101 might assist an understanding of why PC = Fundamentally-flawed by design while Mac = basically secure by design....

Yes, nothing is perfect in an imperfect world especially where those who are least perfect set out to steal from or to break anything owned by others who have more or better (than those who may know less) than they do. Welcome to the world of the PC.....er.....actually, as you're posting here, welcome to the BETTER world of the Mac! 😉

Message was edited by: RestlessFool

Nov 21, 2008 1:32 PM in response to pc2k07

1982?

OS X wasn't available 26 years ago and certainly there were viri for Apple's operating system at that time, but the number was quite small and I don't believe Microsoft had cranked up their copy machine yet to copy Apple's GUI for Windows. Apple and MS settled a long standing lawsuit out of court not all that long ago over MS's copying.

The discussion is about OS X, not Apple's OS 26 years ago. OS X is UNIX based so comparing OS X to Apple's OS 26 years ago would be like comparing Windows to MS starting over and re-writing everything based on UNIX, which is exactly what they should do if they ever expect to improve security.

And this is about viri, not a proof of concept or malware. This is about the ability to spread from computer to computer without the infected user's knowledge which has not occurred with OS X. The only way anything can be installed on a Mac running OS X, namely on the root directory of the hard drive which is required for a virus, is by entering an admin password. Sure someone can enter their admin password and get infected by a proof of concept or malware, but in order to spread from a Mac to another Mac would require the same on every Mac, which isn't likely.

A proof of concept or malware masquerading as an MP3 file, sure, but I haven't heard about this occuring with music imported from a purchased music CD. Use Limewire or some other file sharing service or download something from an unknown or untrusted site, you are taking a risk.

The discussion is about viri, not a proof of concept or malware which is different, and none of what you mentioned can spread virally between Macs as is so common with Windows.

Nov 21, 2008 6:12 PM in response to RestlessFool

Well first of all I never said windows was perfect, I'm no microsoft lover, in fact I dont care about apple or microsoft they are just businesses that value money over users, like ALL business. I never said windows was better or not without its problems. In fact I never mentioned windows at all and I didn't slam an apple os at all, I simply posted facts that apple people seem to forget about. We all know windows has serious security issues and we all know it gets updated monthly, plugging holes and fixing problems. I don't dispute that. I simply posted facts that apple people refuse to say exist. And we also all know that mac os doesn't get attacked because its just not worth it to the scum who write viruses and malware. Why infect a minority of people when you can get many more people with windows since more people use windows. They write these things for a few reasons: to see if they can, to get as many people as possible, and to gain fame in the underground hacking world. It doesn't "pay" to attack the little guy. But anyway, like I said, I'm not slamming mac os, just posting facts. What I find funny is every time a windows user posts facts about mac os the first thing the apple people do is attack and slam windows. All I did was post facts, you try to turn the discussion into mac vs windows, I wasn't doing that at all.

Nov 21, 2008 6:37 PM in response to pc2k07

I didn't say OS X was perfect or attack free, no OS can claim that, but this discussion that you decided to jump in was/is about viri, and your "facts" from Sophos are twisted somewhat. They are in the business to make money also by selling their protection. Some people use the term virus for everything, but included with the definition of a virus is the ability to spread from computer to computer without the user's knowledge, and there isn't any malware for OS X that falls under this definition.

All of the trojans you listed for OS X and later require you enter an admin password, and don't spread virally.

The one that spread via iChat, was only via Bonjour, so on the same subnet, and required entering an admin password.

OpenOffice scripting issues is an OpenOffice virus, not an OS X virus.

Both the incidents in 2008 were trojans that did not spread virally. One required that you install a "codec" usually on adult sites, that wasn't actually a codec.

And we also all know that mac os doesn't get attacked because its just not worth it to the scum who write viruses and malware. Why infect a minority of people when you can get many more people with windows since more people use windows. They write these things for a few reasons: to see if they can, to get as many people as possible, and to gain fame in the underground hacking world. It doesn't "pay" to attack the little guy.

Thew old security through obscurity FUD, which is baloney. You don't believe ANY script kiddies or the scum that spend all their time writing viri and malware have not tried to be successful with writing a virus for OS X that by definition can spread from computer to computer without a user's knowledge over the last 8 years? What better way to gain fame in the underground hacking world when doing so is relatively easy with the big guy.

Nov 21, 2008 6:52 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I realize the discussion was about os x, I just wanted to start with some background about the first boot sector virus, way back in '82. I wasn't comparing the os then and now, just posting history. And I wasn't trying to make this into windows vs mac (I actually favor linux, which is unix based), but have to use windows if: 1)I want to keep my job, I work in 2nd level pc support for a global energy company and 2) to be able to do every thing I want on a computer as windows has a lot more software titles and manufactures making stuff for it. I was simply saying it could be done, nothing is impervious to viri, if it was worth it, it could be done. Proof of concept proves that it could be done with some genius code work. You may be right that proof of concept doesn't mean it can be spread via macs, I'll concede to that, but certainly you agree that it could be done, I mean it's only code and any code can be hacked. When apple users say no way, it can't happen, we're better than windows, windows is flawed, mac rule, it can't be done to mac os, etc, I have a problem with that as proof of concept says it could possibly be done. Sure unix based os's are more secure, but not impenetrable. What bothers me is when people try to hide facts. If any os is as good as you feel it is, then you should be able to talk about its history and not just say it can't happen or never happened so that uninformed others think its flawless. Give the possibilities and the facts and let the user decide. I for instance tell everyone I know not to use IE as it is flawed by design for sure, active x is dangerous at best. I never try to hide facts whether they make my os of choice look good or bad. Why not say, hey look at this, it possibly could be done, but I don't know if it ever has, instead of saying no way can't happen.
Getting back to the iphone, I find it disturbing that some apps available from the app store can get access to personal information on your iphone, like your contacts. I downloaded an app that with a click of an on/off switch would copy your contacts up to the developers server for them to do whatever they want with. Sure by default it was set to no and it did warn you if you turned it on before it uploaded your personal info, but that seems a bit insecure to me and borders on spyware. Use some of that mac os security and secure personal areas of the iphone as well. IMO, NO app should ever be allowed to access my contacts, texts, calendar, email, or photos on my iphone. Since we can't secure these phones manually like you can your computer (av, inbound/outbound firwalls, partitions, etc), I think apple needs to be more proactive in security on the iphone before someone does slip something by the app screeners.

iPhone 3G Calling random people by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.