Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Issues + Wife = Need Serious Help

Greetings - MacBook - running 10.4 with all updates.

Hard Drive crashed last week. Apple Retailer replaced hard drive and I reinstalled OS. After installing OS, ran System Prefs > Software Update until all updates has been completed.

Installed iLife 08. Copied my iPhoto Library icon to fire wire hard drive and then copied to her computer. Imported photos to iPhoto and we seem to be cooking with gas.

Set up her Mail Accounts in Mail - again, just going nice and smooth.

Reset and installed her iTunes music - seems like all is well..........until she restarts. Upon restart, all Mail accounts are gone and Mail setup Wizard launches. Photo file is still in Home folder but photo's don't load. Music is still in Home Folder > Music > iTunes but does not load in iTunes.

I've searched the boards for Mail, Software, Photos - you name it. I know this must be something simple I missed along the way. Any help would be great.

PowerBook G4; Mac Mini (2); MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Nov 17, 2008 8:46 AM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2008 11:20 AM in response to Mark Gaipo

No. Just use Software Update to update your OS or go to Apple's download site to install the combo updates.

Then use Software Update to install all the other updates you transferred over to the MB and install all the other updates that went along with OS 10.4.11.

Repair permissions & restart your computer after all the installations are done.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2008 5:38 PM in response to Mark Gaipo

HI Mark,

Check the integrity of the drive just in case. Shut down the MacBook. Hold down the C key, press the power button and insert the restore disk all at the same time, keep holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. An Installer window will open, select English, but DO NOT proceed with any installations. Instead, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Disk Utility. When the DU window opens, select MacintoshHD 10.x.x in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab, then click the Verify button. If DU reports errors, click Repair. If DU can't repair the drive, click Repair again. Sometimes it takes several passes for it to do the job. Quit DU when it's finished. From the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Disk. In that window, select MacintoshHD 10.x.x and click Restart.

Carolyn 🙂

Nov 17, 2008 6:25 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, thanks for your detailed instructions. In my initial conversations in this string, I kept say, "...I know it's something simple...". It was. After installing the OS, iLife and setting up mail boxes and iTunes, **I CHANGED THE NAME OF THE HOME USERS FOLDER.** So when my wife started the computer, the directory address couldn't find the listed folder. After playing for a bit when I got home from work I figured it out. I deleted the second Home folder the system created and changed the name of the original Home folder back to what it was and Bingo, success. Thanks Again.

MacBook Issues + Wife = Need Serious Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.