Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music keeps playing after I unplug headphones...

Hello,

I may have just noticed this but, when I have the apple headphones plugged in, and I stop the music from playing what happens is when I unplug the headphones and ipod starts playing music again.

Is this a common problem? Is there a work-around?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 17, 2008 6:29 PM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2008 5:44 PM in response to emwaves

I'm getting almost the same problem that is really starting to bug me. It ONLY seems to happen when I'm using a different headset than the one that came with the iPhone. Since I want to cut down on the wear and tear of the stock IP headset (the one with the mike), I have been using the headset that came with my IT.

If I'm listening to the iPod music, there doesn't seem to be a problem. However, if I want to watch a youtube clip, listen to streaming radio (Tuner), etc, after only a few minutes, the iPod music starts up over the audio for whatever source I have going (youtube, etc.). This even happens in my car when I'm plugged into my Aux In.

A couple of months ago I took the IP in to see the Genius and got a load from him that dirt is causing the problem. He recommended I blow the audio port out with compressed air occasionally.
That really doesn't seem to correct this problem.

The only work-around seems to be to us the headset with the mike, but that doesn't help me in my car.

This problem occured with 2.0, 2.1 and now 2.2. I'm wondering if something is loose inside the IP and causing it to switch audio source if the IP is moved.

Today I tried turning off WiFi thinking maybe when the IP switches back and forth between WiFi and 3G, that might be causing the problem.

I also think this problem can drain the battery IF the music turns on accidently. All-in-all, I'm a bit torqued off about this.

Dec 19, 2008 7:57 PM in response to Macaby

My above post seems to be in error. I THOUGHT I was using the headset that came with my IT and it was causing problems on my IP with automatic start of music that is stored on my unit.

Tonight I found the IT headset and it doesn't cause this "auto" music start when plugged into my IP.

The problem headset came with another MP3 player that I have. On first look, it looks the same as my IT headset, especially the earbuds. The male jack when held up directly along side the problem headset looks just a tad different.

So, I guess I'll be sticking with Apple earbuds from now on.

Music keeps playing after I unplug headphones...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.