Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple LC475: Connecting a PC monitor?

Hi

Back in 1993, I bought my first Apple - a desktop LC475 (Performa xxx) with an Apple display. It was retired in the late 90s but I kept it for old times sake.

I switched it on yesterday for the first time in 10 years maybe and it seemed to boot up just fine - familar welcome note sounding - but the monitor remained black despite the power light glowing green.

I'm now not sure: is the computer itself ok? Is the monitor broken? I've got a PC monitor in the house (15in VGA flatscreen) and want to know how I connect it up. Research suggests the video out on the LC475 is DB15 if that makes sense.

Anyone got any ideas?

Macbook 2.16GHz 2GB, iPod Touch 32GB, AEBSn, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 18, 2008 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2008 5:50 AM

Hi,

Before you try anything else, do check the (3.6 V) battery voltage. A bad internal battery can cause no video.

If you wish to connect a PC monitor, a special Mac-to-VGA adapter (typically, with switches) will be needed. See also KB article TA21581.

Jan
11 replies

Nov 21, 2008 8:17 AM in response to Jonathan Phillips1

If you have a Disk Tools floppy or an appropriate System/Install CD, you can use it to do several more things to make booting more likely:

• Run Drive Setup or HD SC Setup and check that your drive is present and has a reasonable capacity (not zero). Use the non-destructive "Update Driver" function. Do not initialize -- you will lose everything if you do.

• Use the Startup Disk Control Panel to set your Hard Drive as the Startup Disk.

Nov 23, 2008 7:46 AM in response to Jonathan Phillips1

Hello,

a new hard drive with system 7 installed. I hope that'll fix matters.

According to the technical specifications, the LC 475 needs at least System 7.1 and a System Enabler 065 (the specifications for the Performa 475 list System 7.1P3 and System Enabler 364). No need for system enablers with the newer operating systems mentioned.

I don't have a Mac with a floppy drive

If you have (or could borrow) a Windows PC (with a floppy drive), it can be used for the Network Access Disk 7.5 download, but would require (Aladdin) StuffIt Expander for Windows and a suitable PC disk image utility.

Normally, never decode or decompress Mac program files on a PC. Always keep MacBinary (.bin) or BinHex (.hqx) unaltered until on a Macintosh computer.

BTW, a full System 7.5.3 is available for download from Apple (e.g., British and North American versions). The downloadable System 7.5.3 files are small enough to be transferred on 1.44 MB diskettes (in this case, a plain copying process; no separate disk image program needed). A startup floppy file is not included (use the Network Access Disk 7.5 whenever necessary).

Jan

Nov 23, 2008 7:40 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

the drive in auction has system 7.5 (I should have said 7.x, my mistake) so is the right OS for the 475.

Amazing that full system 7.5 is available from Apple -- I'll be looking that way if needs be. Thanks too for the pointer about Windows PC -- I'm sure someone local has one of those with a floppy drive so I remain hopeful.

... turned into quite a project 😉

Apple LC475: Connecting a PC monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.