Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend Wireless Network

I have an Orange LiveBox and a new 1TB TC 🙂
What I would like to do is add TC to Orange Livebox Wireless Router (Wirelessly)
Then use my MacBook to access the TC and the Internet (Wirelessly)
I thought it could accomplish this, but at the moment it seems like TC doesn't want to talk wirelessly to LiveBox, it has no problem wired.

At the moment I have been able to connect TC to Livebox with wire and connect wirelessly to TC from Mac.

Any help here would be great!

Thanks

MACbook A1181, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iPod Touch, iPod Nano

Posted on Nov 18, 2008 9:35 AM

2 replies

Nov 18, 2008 12:54 PM in response to dntaker

What you are attempting to do is create a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) with your Livebox and Time Capsule (TC) routers. Unfortunately, very few non-AirPort routers are WDS-compatible with the AirPorts (including the TC). So it is very unlikely that you will be able to achieve what you are trying to do.

The only option would be to connect the TC directly, by Ethernet, to one of the Livebox's LAN ports.

Dec 28, 2008 4:47 AM in response to dntaker

The answer is simple : the Livebox does not support WDS nor is 802.11n (only 802.11b/g) and hence does not support the 'extend and existing network' ; and you cannot do what you are trying to do. An Airport Express / Extreme / TC cannot be used to extend wireless a Livebox wifi network.

To extend a Livebox wifi network you need first to connect an Airport Express / Extreme / TC using an ethernet wire .. then add another Airport Express / Extreme / TC elsewhere.

Hope this helps - the overall cost can be very heavy : 270 euros to extend a wifi network because Livebox does not support WDS nor is 802.11n (180 euros for the Airport Extreme and 90 euros for the Airport Express).

Extend Wireless Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.