Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Icon won't stay in the position in the dock where I put it

I have a very strange happening on my iMac (OSX 10.5.5). The mail icon in my dock won't stay in the position where I put it. After a few seconds, it moves to the last position in the dock (before the dashed line). If my dock is at the bottom of screen, the mail icon moves to right just before the dashed line. If my dock is on the right side of screen, the mail icon moves to the bottom just before the dashed line. Each time I move the mail icon to another position in the dock, it moves back to the last position. Can anyone help me figure this out - so that I can put the mail icon where I want it to appear? Thank you. Dale

G4, G5, MacMini, Powerbook, iMac, iPods, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 18, 2008 6:40 PM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2008 6:52 PM in response to Dale H. Eckerman Jr

first a question for you. are you using Mobileme? I've seen a number of posts with the same problem by people using Mobileme (which i don't have). haven't seen a resolution to this but you might want to check in the mobileme forum. If you are not using mobileme try resetting Dock preferences. delete the file homedirectory/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and restart Dock by running the following terminal command

killall Dock

This will reset your Dock to the default and hopefully fix the issue.

Nov 19, 2008 10:08 AM in response to Topher Kessler

I followed the earlier suggestion of trashing the dock preferences. After restarting, I got a new dock with the default icons. However, the mail icon continues to follow the undesired behavior of automatically moving to the last (right or bottom) position before the dotted line - irrespective of where I set its position in the dock. Can someone help me straighten this out, please? Thank you. Dale

Nov 19, 2008 2:46 PM in response to Dale H. Eckerman Jr

Just to close this discussion, I solved the problem. I reloaded my settings, including Dock Items, from MobileMe. Apparently there was a conflict (I have no idea as to the reason(s). Nevertheless, my mail icon now stays put. Thanks for those who made suggestions, at particularly for suggesting the issue involved MobileMe. Dale

Mail Icon won't stay in the position in the dock where I put it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.