Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped iPod. Red "X" on reset. Tried everything. Anything else I can do?

I guys, I've searched high and low for all the things I can do to diagnose/fix this problem I have with my iPod. I seem to have run out of options and I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do short of bringing my iPod to a service center.

I have a Sixth Generation 160GB iPod Classic, and this is what happened:

I was taking my iPod out of my pocket and it slipped +(a common occurrence as I've come to realize while searching for answers)+. In my surprise and scramble to catch it, I inadvertently pushed it down harder with my hand... so it landed on the pavement even harder than it should have.

When I picked it up, I was sure that it was a goner. However, I was surprised to find that the song I was listening to was still playing +(Chopin's "Nocturne in E flat major, Op. 9, No. 2" for anyone interested)+. So, I thought all was well since it was still playing... ...until the song ended.

When the song was finished, it took me a while to realize that the next track wasn't playing. So I fiddled with my iPod until I finally decided to reset it by holding the center button and menu button at the same time. When it started to reset, it showed the apple logo and then took about a minute before it finally displayed a red circle with an "X" in the middle and the url "http://www.apple.com/support/ipod" was below it.

Naturally I got bummed out. But after a day or so, I went googling for answers.

* Reseting didn't work.
* Connecting the unit to the PC via USB cable didn't work since my system couldn't detect it at all +(even as a harddrive/storage device)+
* Running the diagnostic tools (by holding the back button and center button at the same time during startup) didn't work since HDSpecs and HDSMARTData both get stuck at *"open device.."* and then nothing happens

So I'm quite sure that my iPod has a failed harddrive and all I could possibly do is bring it to a service center to see if they can do anything about it.

But just so that I'm sure: Am I missing out on trying anything else? Is there anything else I can do? Have I tried everything I can? Or is Chopin's "Nocturne in E flat major, Op. 9, No. 2" the last song my iPod will ever play?

Additional question: If my HD is indeed screwed, does that mean that my unit is useless and I should buy a new one? Or can it be repaired/replaced?

Thanks a lot!

Message was edited by: quiapz

Message was edited by: quiapz

Windows, Windows XP

Posted on Nov 19, 2008 7:09 PM

27 replies

Dec 11, 2008 3:34 PM in response to quiapz

ok so im going to get straight o the point. you hard drive is most likely bad. im not sure what it would cost apple to repair it. all i know is that they would only install a new one, you would loose all your music, and you would have paid pretty much the same price for a new one. so here's your options.

I repair ipods as a hobby. I hate having to tell people that i need to install new hard drives in their ipods because it is so expensive. I HARDLY MAKE ANY MONEY FROM RE-SELLING HARD DRIVES because nobody wants to pay that much.

BUT!!!! IM IN AN EXTREMELY GOOD MOOD TODAY AND IM GONNA LET YOU IN ON A LITTLE SECRET THAT APPLE DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW.

Some times when you drop your ipod the lens inside skips. (kinda like a record player) reset your ipod by holding the middle and menu button until you hear clicking. then with one hand hold the ipod firmly and hit the side of it onto the PALM of your other hand. Sometimes this jumps the needle back into place but not all the time.

Theres this repair service that can repair your hard drive for only $20 plus shipping (approx. $6). They claim that 9 times out of 10 you dont lose your music. I've never tried this service myself but I hear that they're good. ipodcorrectors.com

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2009 11:38 PM in response to munoz4415

In relation to the fellow who saw the red Circle and X. My ipod was dropped The Hd was making a clicking noise as if it was not engaging or trying to engage. So I removed the HD and bought a refurbished one the same red circle and x appear when this HD was installed as well.You say something about resetting the screen? . Should I trash it?

Apr 30, 2009 2:10 PM in response to munoz4415

Dude, That's totally awesome I was searching the internet for hours searching for a solution and i stumbled upon this.I tried everything and i saw this, hitting it off your palm there's no way that'll work but I was desperate, it didnt work the first or second time but eventually i heard a click and I silently watched the iPod screen and it came on,Just like that.Thanks alot, you really saved me there.

Dropped iPod. Red "X" on reset. Tried everything. Anything else I can do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.