Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the DC in board?

Does this stand for anything? I think it's the plug in the computer where the cord goes...

Before I order a new one, as I think mine has turned into Hal, I was hoping someone could explain to me what it is, what it stands for, etc.

Thanks!

ibook G$, none

Posted on Nov 21, 2008 7:20 AM

2 replies

Nov 22, 2008 7:03 PM in response to E_nmn_m

The DC In Board is a small circuit board which contains the power port where the power adaptor plugs in. The power brick is actually a transformer which turns the AC into DC. So the DC In Board is named according to its function--it is a board where the DC comes in.

In order for the power adaptor to charge the battery, you need three things to work. The power adaptor has to work, and the battery has to be good, AND the DC In Board has to work, as it is a necessary link between the two inside the computer.

The power port takes a lot of abuse as the power adaptor is constantly plugged in and out. It can become physically damaged and no longer work. If this happens, you will have to repair or replace the DC In Board.

If you go to ifixit and look at the instructions for replacing the DC In Board, you can look at a picture of it.

Hope this helps!

Dec 12, 2008 10:56 AM in response to E_nmn_m

I took the 'puter apart, but was not willing to replace the DC inboard, as I wasn't certain that it was the problem versus the PMU on the logic board. (Battery wouldn't charge, random computer shutdowns, etc.) One note: for months, a horrible whining noise was coming from the DC inboard, which in retrospect was an indication that something was shortening out.

The computer went to Depot, where they replaced both the DC in- and logic board. (Not sure why both, unless a short in the DC board caused a problem in the logic board.)

In sum, my computer now works perfectly. 🙂

What is the DC in board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.