Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airtunes iMac->AppleTV kills internet connection on iMac, but not on MBP

My situation. Two Apple computers, one iMac 2.8 Ghz and one MBP 2.16 Ghz, both with 10.5.5, an Apple TV 160GB (with 2.3 software) and Airport Extreme (7.3.2 software). The AE is @ 5Ghz with 802.11n only (I got cordless speakers @ 2.4Ghz, so I chose the 5 Ghz for the AE)

I hooked the iMac to the AppleTV which is in the living room, next to the Airport Extreme. Streaming HD-content on my AppleTV is surprisingly smooth (as it should be imho).

However, when I use AirTunes on AppleTV, after a few minutes the iMac gets disconnected from my AE, leaving me without any internet connection and music from AirTunes. I have to 'disable' airport and then 'enable' it again to get my internet connection working again. However, it will disconnect again a few moments later. However, all the time this is happening, the internet connection on my MBP is working flawless.

This is driving me crazy, to say the least. Here's what I've done so far
- Used the MBP for streaming to airtunes: same problem as with the iMac. The internet connection drops on my MBP, while on the iMac, it's working flawless
- Changed 5 Ghz to any available mode on the AE (802.11n with b/g; 2.4 Ghz).
- No wireless security
- No MAC-address security
- Reset the AE
- Shut down all the interfering appliances (such as my mobile phone and cordless speakers)
- Reinstalled OSX Leopard on my iMac (the MBP is a work-based machine and I refuse to reinstall it for some airtunes problem).

All without any luck. The internet connection dropped twice while writing this post and, like I said, this is really driving me crazy. I haven't always had this problem, so I'm inclined to believe this is a software problem. However, my software knowledge is quite limited: other than the things I tried I have no clue what to do.

So any help is greatly appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 2:43 AM

5 replies

Nov 23, 2008 5:48 PM in response to NeedNoAlias

This is happening for me as well! It's really frustrating!

I'm using a 2.4 GHz C2D Unibody MacBook with 4GB of (Apple) RAM, OS X 10.5.5, and all the latest software updates.

At home, my base station is an Apple Airport Extreme, set up with 802.11 n/b/g, channel 8, which is clear, interference robustness is off, and WPA2 Personal. The laptop and the ATV are both connected to the base station wirelessly.

At work, I've got a similar setup: same laptop, Airport Extreme, 802.11 n/b/d, WPA2 Personal, and an Airport Express connected to the network wirelessly as a client.

Apple: please help!

Nov 30, 2008 11:22 PM in response to NeedNoAlias

I've been experiencing something similar. For now, I've gotten around it by adding an old Airport Express I had around. That has dropped once or twice, but by and large plays longer and often with not drops at all compared to the AppleTV, which was dropping every few minutes.

I'm curious if this started for you around iTunes 8.01, as that's when it did for me. I also brought in a new macbook at that point, which did disrupt a bunch of stuff like the iTunes library and AppleTV. Since then airtunes via AppleTV has been problematic at best.

Feb 5, 2009 7:34 AM in response to Todd Sieling

I experienced this exact problem - streaming to AirTunes on the AppleTV through an AirPort Extreme actually kills the entire net connection after a few seconds/minutes. Very frustrating.

This is a bug that obviously should be addressed - I don't think it's any configuration problem or similar. No fixes mentioned for "AirTunes dropping out" have worked, it seems to be a different issue. Any ideas from anyone?

Feb 16, 2009 1:02 PM in response to NeedNoAlias

I am having the same problem as well. It seems to affecting all kinds of different setups too. I'm using an AppleTV with 2.3, iTunes 8.02 and an Airport Extreme all running over 5GHz.

Many say they experienced the problem when they upgraded to v8 of iTunes. I noticed it after the upgrade to 2.3 on the AppleTV.

Any help from Apple would be great. It's very frustrating. I was considering a second AppleTV for another room in my house, but will not do it until the Airtunes is fixed (it's great running it in conjunction with the Remote application on both my wife's and my iPod Touches)

Airtunes iMac->AppleTV kills internet connection on iMac, but not on MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.