Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HEAT INSIDE MACBOOK AND ME!

Guys! Maybe someone relieve me so i can sleep well.

I used to have old iBook G4 12" for 4 years. I barely heard fan working ever. Only when i need to to convert some video. That is it.

I recently bought new aluminum MacBook (unibody) and from time to time i hear the fan working and computer getting hot and much. I have Limewire app which makes it hot always, so it is not surprising at all. But why Safari makes it work crazy, for me having open 10 safari windows it is regular and now i am trying to limit myself cause i am really concerned about heat... Also what i've noticed that the problem might lay in Flash based web-sites, or even Youtube which by default using flash based streaming.

Just in general this laptop made me a bit disappointed in this respect. I have more powerful hardware, i have same operating system as i had on old iBook and this temperature problems drives me crazy.

Thanks,
Ivan

MacBook (Unibody) 2GHz RAM 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.5), iPod video 30GB, iPod Shuffle 1 GB

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 11:19 AM

12 replies

Nov 22, 2008 2:15 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, my question if such a heat production is normal. From my experience of using iBook G4 and any G4 based hardware i never had such issues. And this is my first Intel based laptop. So i rely on your understanding.

I have searched the forum and did not find a SPECIFIC answer. People were coming with a bit different issues which were rather obvious.

My question lays on level of design of specific hardware. I found a KB article on this but it is rather uncertain. In general it says if it is hot just let your hardware chill by means of proper ventilation. If it designed so i am fine, otherwise waiting for your recommendations...

I am not first year on Mac. Just for next time, please read my question before coming up with argument that i am complaining. Cause almost every request sent in discussion could be treated as a complain.

Nov 22, 2008 2:56 PM in response to Ivan_ua

I read your post which did not ask a specific question. You just complained about the heat issue. You then ended by saying how disappointed your were. Nowhere did you specifically ask about design concerns, mention a KB article (even now without a citation to the article,) or ask if there was a way to cool the computer. In fact there isn't a single question in your original post.

Since heat in Mac laptops has been discussed ad nauseum since 2006 there are hundreds or thousands of posts about the subject including many discussions of the cooling design. If you didn't find these then you didn't look very hard or very long. True there may not be specific posts about the Late 3008 models the general topic has been around for two plus years. I should know since i've participated in many of the topics.

And, no, every submission isn't a complaint. There's a difference. If you're not sure about this then you need to read the Discussion's Terms of Use by clicking on the link in the right sidebar of this page.

Apple does not release information on their technical engineering designs for obvious reasons. But the engineers have been designing laptops for some time, so it's reasonable to assume they know something about cooling design. The CPUs and GPUs used generate an enormous amount of heat in a relatively small space. The chassis is part of the overall cooling system. Expect it to get hot. This warning appears on Page 68 of your user guide:

Proper handling Set up your MacBook on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.

The bottom of your MacBook may become very warm during normal use. If your MacBook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable work surface.

Nov 22, 2008 5:57 PM in response to Ivan_ua

+since heat in Mac laptops has been discussed ad nauseum since 2006 there are hundreds or thousands of posts about the subject including many discussions of the cooling design. If you didn't find these then you didn't look very hard or very long. True there may not be specific posts about the Late 3008 models the general topic has been around for two plus years. I should know since i've participated in many of the topics.+

Kappy Where can I get my hands on the new 3008 MBP? Do I need the new Apple "time machine" ? 🙂 Just kidding - LOL

I bet there would be no heat issues - 🙂

Nov 22, 2008 7:29 PM in response to Ivan_ua

Ivan_ua wrote:
Guys! Maybe someone relieve me so i can sleep well.

I used to have old iBook G4 12" for 4 years. I barely heard fan working ever. Only when i need to to convert some video. That is it.

I recently bought new aluminum MacBook (unibody) and from time to time i hear the fan working and computer getting hot and much. I have Limewire app which makes it hot always, so it is not surprising at all. But why Safari makes it work crazy, for me having open 10 safari windows it is regular and now i am trying to limit myself cause i am really concerned about heat... Also what i've noticed that the problem might lay in Flash based web-sites, or even Youtube which by default using flash based streaming.

Ivan,

The MacBooks have always run hotter than the iBook G4. We still have one of those, and I owned a black original MB from July 2006 until last month. It was always so warm in normal use that I could not hold it on my lap (used one of those "lap platforms" .. which is always a good idea for circulation of heat).

My new Al MB 2.4 generally runs cooler than my original MB did. But if I do something which is processor intensive (like ripping a CD or DVD) it does run pretty hot.

You might want to download iStat, a widget that will let you check temperature and other operating parameters. Then you can search for threads here on that topic (temperature) and see if your numbers are normal. I suspect they are, since MacBooks do typically run hot and are designed to.

Phil

HEAT INSIDE MACBOOK AND ME!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.