Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport not connecting automatically

Whenever I restart or wake-up my computer, I find Airport has turned off. Then when I try to turn it on from the menu icon, most times it just switches back off again. Usually it stays on the second time I click it. Also then it doesn't automatically connect to my known networks, even though I have it set up to do this. It first has to scan for the network, then when I click the network it usually connects, but every now and then will ask me for WPA password again. I know it's not a train smash, but it's quite annoying.

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 1:17 PM

3 replies

Nov 22, 2008 8:07 PM in response to runswithtwohorses

runswithtwohorses wrote:
Whenever I restart or wake-up my computer, I find Airport has turned off. Then when I try to turn it on from the menu icon, most times it just switches back off again. Usually it stays on the second time I click it. Also then it doesn't automatically connect to my known networks, even though I have it set up to do this. It first has to scan for the network, then when I click the network it usually connects, but every now and then will ask me for WPA password again. I know it's not a train smash, but it's quite annoying.

I had that same problem until I updated my router's firmware. Since then it has been working properly.

Nov 22, 2008 8:20 PM in response to runswithtwohorses

Hello Runs...

Nero Wolfe is right about updating the router firmware. And if that doesn't do the trick, try this:

• Open KeyChain Access
• Delete any entries for your preferred wireless network
• Open System Preferences -> Network
• You are probably using a location called Automatic.
• Click on Assistant -> Assist Me
• Enter the Location Name AirportOnly (no space)
• Select I use AirPort to connect to the internet wirelessly
• Follow instructions to connect to your wifi network
• Be sure to Click the check box for Remember this Network, and
• Be sure to click Always Allow when it asks if you want to access the password in your keychain.
• Shutdown and restart the computer
• Open System Preferences -> Network
• Make sure you are now using the Location you created above (AirportOnly)
• On the left side of the window, click on every connection except the Airport and delete the connection using the minus sign at the bottom of the window
• Click on Advanced. At this point you should only have one network in the preferred networks window. If there is more than one, delete any networks you are not actually using, and drag your primary wifi network to the top of the list.
• Remove the checkmark from Disconnect from wireless networks ... and
• Remove the checkmark from Require Administrator password to control Airport.
• Click OK
• Click Apply.
• Shut down the computer and restart.

hope that helps. 😉

Airport not connecting automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.