Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will any bluetooth headset work with the iPhone?

I would like a bluetooth headset for my iPhone. I have the regular one, not the 3g and I don't like any that Apple is selling. Can I just go to any store and get one?

iPhone 16G, Windows XP

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2008 7:38 PM

Yes, any bluetooth headset can be paired with the iPhone (original or 3G).
3 replies

Nov 24, 2008 4:36 PM in response to Pedro Bilbao Gomez

Pedro Bilbao Gomez wrote:
No , is not correct to say that any BT headphone will work with the iPhone 3G. Most new BT headphones are ADSP (or something with the similar initials) compatible and the iPhone 3G is not.

I didn't state that. I stated "headset" not "headphones". There is a difference.

You are thinking of A2DP, which is the profile for transmission of music over Bluetooth. THe iPhone does not support that, at all. However, headsets that support A2DP will also support the Bluetooth headset profile, which the iPhone does support (that's for voice calls).

Note that the OP asked about "headsets" not "headphones". A headset has an earpiece (or two) _and a microphone_, and is suitable for phone calls, and possibly listening to music (the iPhone supports the former, not the latter). Headphones have only earpieces (no mic) - A2DP Bluetooth headphones won't work with the iPhone (and I did not state that they would).

Will any bluetooth headset work with the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.