Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo Mail - settings to leave a copy on server

new iPhone user, updated to 2.2. Added Yahoo mail and it seems to be syncing ok, although it 'feels' like I have random gaps of missing messages.

I went through the steps of Yahoo mail setup.
I did notice that if mail is downloaded/opened on my iPhone...the mail is no longer then in Outlook Express SMTP mail client.

I should note that:
My Yahoo account is upgraded to Mail plus so I can download/keep SMTP mail, not just web mail. Do I need to re-setup my Yahoo Mail manually as an SMTP account, and then will I get a server setting option to 'leave a copy on the server'? which is want I want.

thanks!

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Nov 24, 2008 5:43 PM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2008 11:05 PM in response to billrallen

Alright so it sounds like you have your yahoo account configured in Outlook, is this correct? If so, you can simply set Outlook to leave a copy of the messages on server. As I am not to sure wether you are using Outlook Express, Outlook 2000, 2003, 2007, etc. I am not exactly sure of the location of this.

Normally it is located under Tools\Accounts (you may need to first select 'View/change existing account') highlight you account and select 'Properties' or 'Change...' then select 'More Settings...' go to the Advanced tab and select 'Leave a copy of messages on the server' .. you can set the other options below this option to your liking, then click 'OK' close Outlook and relaunch .. you should be set.

OR you can just keep Outlook closed when you are not at your computer. With POP accounts you cannot have them checking for mail from more than 1 source because once the email comes into 1 source it tends to not make it to the other one.

Hopefully this helps out a bit ✰

Nov 29, 2008 11:43 PM in response to billrallen

If you used the Yahoo account preset when creating your Yahoo account on your iPhone, the account was created as an IMAP account with the iPhone's mail client. There is no setting to leave messages on the server when downloaded by an IMAP account.

If there are random gaps of missing messages, this is probably due to your account setting for removing messages from the server when downloaded by Outlook, since you are accessing your Yahoo account as a POP account with Outlook. It isn't possible to access a Yahoo account as an IMAP account with an email client on a computer.

Not sure why received messages with the iPhone's mail client are no longer available when accessing the account with Outlook since the received messages are not removed from the server with an IMAP account unless you delete the messages.

If you want to access your Yahoo account as a POP account with the iPhone's mail client, you need to select Other instead of using the Yahoo account preset when creating the account.

Dec 3, 2008 5:04 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Ok you obviously know what you are talking about so i will try to explain myself a little better.
one of my email accts is imap. it was imap before 2.2. since the update, i think, the phone has started downloading from the server. the phone used to have a button that said leave on server. my secondary pop acct does. now it says leave on iphone for the different mailboxes. i don't want it to download to the phone, just view them so i can download them to Outlook.
i updated my wifes 1G to 2.2. her phone still has the leave on server using the same imap acct. hers doesn't download to the iphone.

Dec 3, 2008 6:10 AM in response to whetsell123

An IMAP account does not include a leave messages on server when downloaded button/selection as is included with a POP account.

If you have this button/selection available for your email account, this means you are accessing your email account as a POP account. If you don't have this button/selection available for your email account, this means you are accessing your email account as an IMAP account.

It is one or the other.

Yahoo Mail - settings to leave a copy on server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.