11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2008 2:40 PM by Asen
Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I am just about to multiply a disk, mastered in DVDSP. I gave a DDP 2.0 image to the company which is going to produce the disks. Upon request, I gave them a ready disk, burned in DVDSP. I also gave them an .IMG file.

The dvd is without any protection. All regions are unabled.

So, here is my problem:
The company works of Windows OS. They use DVD INFO PRO to compare teh DDP and the DVD burned by DVDSP. The program stops and reports too many differences. Thus, I am forced to produce the disk from a simple DVD disk (VIDEO_TS), instead of an image as I wanted.

Please, advise what might be the reason to have so many differences between the DDP and the DVD recorded by the DVDSP?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Hal MacLean Level 6 Level 6 (14,790 points)
    The main reason is that the disc that you have burned on your mac will be a DVD-R which is a very different thing to a DVD-Video. The DDP files will be for a DVD-Video disc, which is correct if you want to replicate your project properly. There are lots of small differences between the two types, and it is not a fair comparison to make. Your replication bureau should already know this.

    The fact that they use a windows system is not the issue, but you need to find a replicator who understands the differences between the two types you hvae given them. You shouldn't need to supply a DVD-R as a backup to a DDP image... are you able to send your work on DLT?
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Hal MacLean wrote:
    The main reason is that the disc that you have burned on your mac will be a DVD-R which is a very different thing to a DVD-Video. The DDP files will be for a DVD-Video disc, which is correct if you want to replicate your project properly. There are lots of small differences between the two types, and it is not a fair comparison to make. Your replication bureau should already know this.


    I am not quite sure I properly understand that. My Mashita DVD ROM (I still wonder why Apple use those?!) cannot properly handle all brands of +R media. So, I burden both: DVD Disk (built by the DVDSP directly to the HD of a PC, via local network) and I burned the DDP image on the same PC. Both disks are DVD+R, if that is your point?..

    Hal MacLean wrote:The fact that they use a windows system is not the issue, but you need to find a replicator who understands the differences between the two types you hvae given them. You shouldn't need to supply a DVD-R as a backup to a DDP image... are you able to send your work on DLT?


    DLT? Well, I gave them the DDP using a USB flash drive. I could also use an external HDD. And they could DL the DDP from me via FTP.

    Is there a serious problem in replicating the disk from a DVD disk (VIDEO_TS)?

    Is there any way to check if the DDP image is correct, if needed at all?

    This is what worries me.

    Thank you for taking your time!

    Message was edited by: Asen
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Another point is that there is no difference how I give them the DDP, IMG or simple VIDEO_TS. Via FTP, USB, disk burning or whatever... There is difference. If there is no way (besides making the matrix) to compare the final DVD video disk and the image, I don't know what would be best?
  • RedTruck Level 4 Level 4 (2,145 points)
    It's important to understand the difference between a duplicated disk and a replicated disk. When you "burn" a disk you use a laser to print the information on the filament via a dye that is embedded in the plastic container. That is why the disk has that purple-ish color. That's the dye. If you look at a DVD that you rent you'll notice the filament is only silver. That's because is it was "stamped" into shape. That is how replication works, and you need an injection molding machine to encase the filament. That is why replicating is so fast and can be used to make tons of DVDs in a short amount of time. So, you can't use a burned DVD to replicate. It's a different process all together.
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    RedTruck wrote:
    It's important to understand the difference between a duplicated disk and a replicated disk. When you "burn" a disk you use a laser to print the information on the filament via a dye that is embedded in the plastic container. That is why the disk has that purple-ish color. That's the dye. If you look at a DVD that you rent you'll notice the filament is only silver. That's because is it was "stamped" into shape. That is how replication works, and you need an injection molding machine to encase the filament. That is why replicating is so fast and can be used to make tons of DVDs in a short amount of time. So, you can't use a burned DVD to replicate. It's a different process all together.


    Ok, I understand that. No problem with that. My point is what to do? If the DDP is not sure to be without problems, how can I replicate the disk? Why it is not possible to create the matrix from a "burned" disk, if I do not need any copy protection?.. What shall I do? Shall I give them an .img file?

    The guys told me there will be no problem to make the stamper (was this the name?) can be produced from a "burned" disk. And from that they will produce the copies, as you explained.

    So, I still wonder what to do? Seems, I have three options:
    1. Risking with a DDP;
    2. Giving them an .img;
    3. Giving them a "burned" disk...

    And the clock is ticking for me...
  • Eric Pautsch1 Level 4 Level 4 (2,825 points)
    You want to give them a DDP image like Hal said. Delivery on USB is a good option - just make sure they know what format you giving them. Its also a good idea to recieve some "check discs" before they complete the entire run.

    e
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Eric Pautsch1 wrote:
    You want to give them a DDP image like Hal said. Delivery on USB is a good option - just make sure they know what format you giving them. Its also a good idea to recieve some "check discs" before they complete the entire run.

    e


    Ok. Shall I ignore the differences between the DDP and the "burned" disk? I will ask for some "check discs". Thanks so far!

    Still, I cannot follow why the guys there told me they usualy do not have any problems "comparing" the DDP image and the "burned" disc, and that my case is the first in their practice for years...
  • Hal MacLean Level 6 Level 6 (14,790 points)
    Seriously - if you are being told that they don't usually see a difference between a DDP image and a duplicated DVD-R then it is time to find a better bureau.

    The will always be a difference between a DVD-R (or DVD+R) and a DDP (or CMF) image. The two are different beasts, one type is designed for replication (DDP and CMF) and the other for duplication. The processes are entirely different, the requirements only superficially similar. If you send a DVD-R for replication you will get an exact copy of that DVD-R... which is not a DVD-Video disc by any means. A DDP or CMF image is a better option, and the suggestion I made was to create a Digital Linear Tape (DLT) which is by far and away the most common means of getting a DDP or CMF image to a replication plant. There are other ways (put it on a USB stick, hard drive or FTP space), but DLT has been used for years and is still amongst the most reliable means of doing this.

    If your guys are not able to compare the two types and see a difference normally, I'd look elsewhere. The fact yours is the first they have seen in years that has a difference is really rather scary. Go and talk to Trai Forrester about it - he is probably the most informed guy on the planet when it comes to this stuff. I know very little about it by comparison.

    http://www.dvdverification.com/
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Hal,

    I cannot create a DLTape. No equipment for that. What I could do is I can use the DVDSP to produce whatever required and give it to the bureau.

    The problem is how to make sure DDP is correct and not corrupted.

    Another point is if this is a realy unacceptable to replicate the disc from a "burned" DVD+R disc?
  • Eric Pautsch1 Level 4 Level 4 (2,825 points)
    The only way to compare the 2 would be to send it to a guy like Trai. Asen - send them the DDP files and you'll be fine. Get check discs and test them before you do the entire run. I know your nervous and want this to be perfect...but just relax It will turn out fine. I'll eat Trai's hat if it doesn't...really
  • Asen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Eric Pautsch1 wrote:
    The only way to compare the 2 would be to send it to a guy like Trai. Asen - send them the DDP files and you'll be fine. Get check discs and test them before you do the entire run. I know your nervous and want this to be perfect...but just relax It will turn out fine. I'll eat Trai's hat if it doesn't...really

    Ok, that will do! Thanks all for the input. I'll push those guys to use the DDP and will insist ot getting a check disc.

    Thanks, Eric!