Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Music Folder Location changed, but iTunes still uses old location

Okay - I'm getting a bit frustrated here. Because I had no room on c:, I moved all my iTunes preferences -- applications I downloaded for the iPod Touch, file settings, and all that stuff -- to my D:\ drive. Then I went to Preferences > Advanced and changed the iTunes Music Folder location to my D: drive.

Everything SEEMED to have looked good. Or so I hoped.

The 40+ applications I bought ⚠ are no longer listed on the Applications purchased list. Further, all my files are STILL saving to the c: drive.

How do I FORCE iTunes to acknowledge that the D:\ drive is storing my iTunes preferences and files?!

Stuff I build, usually, or a Macbook Air, I have lots of computers. Most of my support issues don't pertain to computers.

Posted on Nov 25, 2008 6:23 AM

23 replies

Nov 25, 2008 7:39 PM in response to Katrina S.

It's not a setup, Katrina. I have NO idea what 'Data' refers to. It's a generic Apple error message.

My iTunes directory is not called Data. I feel like it's a hardcoded error without more information.

In any event, I have 2 drives in the system and both have free space as described in the previous message. I'm not sure what else to offer at this point because Apple isn't giving me much to work with here.

I have a feeling that I need more free space on C:, though.

Nov 25, 2008 7:50 PM in response to tamarw

I just tested this to see if smoething had been changed in itunes 8. I tried to consolidate my library to my USB drive, which is named "USB" in Windows Explorer. It's only 2GB and my library is over 300GB, so I knew it would fail.

The error message I got was
+There is not enough room on "USB" to copy all of the requested files.+

So I don't think it's a built-in error message.

Nov 25, 2008 7:54 PM in response to Katrina S.

Katrina, thanks for all your help thus far.

I just realized where I may be off.

I'm really only trying to consolidate my iTunes preferences and application downloads from the App Store to my D: drive. My iTunes library is coming from my M: drive, which has about 300GB as well. I can't put that on D: but I do want to move EVERYTHING else to D:. Is that possible or am I SOL?

Nov 25, 2008 7:58 PM in response to tamarw

Like I said, I don't understand your setup.

In windows explorer, if I look at all my drive letters, it shows the name, then the drive letter.

Such as, USB (M:)

So I think you have a drive named 'Data', and it doesn't have enough room.

You need enough memory for your entire library - whatever is listed at the bottom line in the main itunes view, such as
x items, x days, x GB

Nov 25, 2008 8:06 PM in response to tamarw

OK, now I get what you're trying to do. I think!

I run my ITL file off my exHD, so all my Artwork & Applications are stored there. I think if you try running your ITL file from the D: drive it will do what you want.

Try this
1) close itunes & wait for the library ITL file to save ( I assume it's still on C: hence that's why artwork/apps are DLing there)
2) copy that ITL file over to the D: drive
3) press and hold the shift key while starting itunes and choose the ITL file on D:

Now all your future artwork/apps shoudl download to D:, try it by getting a free app.

Nov 26, 2008 7:12 AM in response to tamarw

You're welcome!
I'm still not sure exactly what files you want to move. Is it just the Mobile Applications & Album Artwork folders? Did you try using a library on D: like I suggested, and downloading a free app?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iTunesWin/7.6/en/15502.html

If you're talking about the itunes preferences files, you can't change those - it's hard-coded into itunes.
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref

... and

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref

iTunes Music Folder Location changed, but iTunes still uses old location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.