Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missed call alerts

I'm not looking to debate with anyone, just need a solution. I need my PHONE (hence the phone part in iPhone), to alert my to missed calls with an audible alert. Yes I know it shows you missed calls on the screen, but if you have your phone auto-lock after five minutes you never see those messages on the screen unless you hit the home button and look. I need an audible alert so when the screen is off I can still know I missed a call. After all this is a phone and phone is its most important function, that's what we all pay at&t for.
I do not have a land line, haven't had one for 6 years, I only use a cell phone.
Reason I need this is last night a family member was rushed to the hospital. I was in the other room and missed the 3 attempts to call me. A voice mail was left, but I didn't wake the phone up until 2 hours later and finally saw the missed calls. I rushed out to the hospital immediately once I listened to the voice mail.
So my questions are:
1) Is there an app, either free or pay, that I can get that will give me audible alerts to missed calls? (at say a specified time interval)
2) If no legal app is available, is there a app available if I hack the phone?
3) If 1 and 2 are not an option, what is the policy of at&t to switch from this "phone" to another phone? (I've been with att for 8 years, don't want to drop them, just need a different phone if I can't get audible alerts)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dell Inspiron 17" wide screen, Windows XP Pro, iPhone 4gb

Posted on Nov 28, 2008 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2008 3:11 PM

1) Is there an app, either free or pay, that I can get that will give me audible alerts to missed calls? (at say a specified time interval)

No, and based on the way apps access phone functions (via dial-URLs), don't expect one.

Perhaps, but this is not the forum for that line of discussion.

3) If 1 and 2 are not an option, what is the policy of at&t to switch from this "phone" to another phone? (I've been with att for 8 years, don't want to drop them, just need a different phone if I can't get audible alerts)

If you purchased the iPhone with the subsidy from AT&T, you'll have to pay full retail price for a replacement phone (unless you purchased it less than 30 days ago - then, return it and pay the restocking fee).
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2008 3:11 PM in response to pc2k07

No, and based on the way apps access phone functions (via dial-URLs), don't expect one.

Perhaps, but this is not the forum for that line of discussion.

If you purchased the iPhone with the subsidy from AT&T, you'll have to pay full retail price for a replacement phone (unless you purchased it less than 30 days ago - then, return it and pay the restocking fee).

Nov 28, 2008 4:36 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks for the answers to 1 and 2 (and the link). I have a follow up question for number 3. I bought my iphone over a year ago, paid the $299 for the 4gig, and have the cheaper data plan, so I don't thing its the subsidy version. Wasn't that the newer less expensive version with the more expensive data plan? So if I don't have that do you know if I'd have to pay full price for a different phone? I can call att and ask or check their site, but don't have the time right now. Thanks for any info you have.

Nov 29, 2008 9:07 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Hi. I apologize for responding to a different message. I read a post by you that's relevant to my topic and now I can't find it. I was trying to upgrade the software of my original iPhone (4GB) from iTunes (I think not the latest version), and I get a yellow triangle enclosing an exclamation mark, and the message: Please connect to iTunes. On iTunes it gave me only the restore option with a warning that all data would be lost. I have 1500 photos of my kids that haven't been backed up. I was trying to do that earlier but couldn't find the way to do it. iPhone tech support tells me my photos are lost. I'm desperate. I did NOT restore. Is there any way to access the photos? Are they still in the iPhone? I will do whatever I can to recover these. Thanks!

missed call alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.