Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are both my iPod and iPhone syncing the same stuff over and over again?

I have an iPod touch and an iPhone and I've always had a situation where they've synced more than they should, but it's starting to get silly.

Up until a week or so ago, I'd sync the touch and 20-30 songs would get copied onto it. They're already there but they'd copy again. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

Earlier this week, this number increased to about 70 songs. Odd.

Now I sync the touch and about 150 songs are being copied to it.

I can sync it, remove it from the dock, connect it straight back and they all get synced again. This is obviously somewhat time consuming and frustrating.

Exactly the same happens with my iPhone.

I'm set to automatically sync when device is connected and sync only checked songs and videos.

In the Music tab, I have Sync Music checked along with Selected playlists and under that I have Audiobooks, Purchased and a specific playlist that I put all the music that I want on the devices in. All songs are checked within the main music display.

I went to the extent of removing everything and putting it all back on which took about an hour and a half on the touch (so I still call BS to the guy who says he can completely sync a touch in 20 minutes) but it's doing exactly the same.

Really, it shouldn't be resyncing any stuff that's already on the device. I can understand perhaps it would do it if play counts have changed but to have it happen just if the device is disconnected and reconnected seems a bit silly.

This is with iTunes 8.0.2 on OS X 10.5.5, all fully patched.

iPod touch 1st gen and iPhone 3G.

I've tried deleting my iTunes library xml file but it's made no difference, in fact after doing that, iTunes is now currently recopying nearly 400 songs that are already on my iPhone!

Any ideas?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2008 10:36 AM

4 replies

Jan 18, 2009 9:36 AM in response to Feek

Same problem here with my iPhone 3G. I have the latest iTunes and OS X. And my iPhone is configured just like yours (Audiobooks, Purchased and a device playlist).

I always get exactly 400 songs deleted from my phone and then re-copied to the device. None of the playlists has 400 titles in it, so I have no idea how come.

Also, from time to time I enjoy a normal sync. But I cannot reproduce either behaviour (i.e. have not found any pattern).

I hope this will get fixed by a new iPhone software or iTunes release.

May 7, 2009 12:44 AM in response to Feek

I have the same problem with both iPod Nano and a new iPod Touch. It started about a month ago, which leads me to suspect it was associated with the latest iTunes update, but I can't pin it down.

At first I thought it was only smart playlists, so I stopped syncing them. But the problem is there with "fixed" playlists as well.

It is only a nuisance but it is a daily nuisance as the sync which should take 15-20 seconds to download a couple of news podcasts now takes a couple of minutes. Any suggestions welcome!

Donna

Why are both my iPod and iPhone syncing the same stuff over and over again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.